Can I add items in existing Marketplace folders?

Gabrielle Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Can I add items in existing Marketplace folders?

Say I want to add the same notecard so several items that I sell on the Marketplace, can I somehow add the notecard to the Marketplace item, or do I have to add it to the original item folder in my inventory, then re-export the whole thing via the merxhant outbox, and recreate the listing (filling in all the fields etc)?

I thought that was the solution but no, I can review and combine items that are not yet listings (that appear at the top of my merchant home wepbage), but I cannot combine an item that's already been made into a listing with one that hasn't. And unlisting an item does not return it to the top of the page with the unlisted items. I find this very confusing...

Gabriel,

What you have to do is this:  Once you upload the new folder with the new item(s) in it, find the listing in your "Manage Listings" list.  Click the "Actions" button next to it.  Go down to "Edit" and click it.  You will get the listing screen.  Click the "Edit Associated Object" button.  In the list you will get, find the new folder you just uploaded.  Once you find it, click "Choose" next to it.  Then when the item pop-up disappears, scroll down to the bottom of the item listing edit page and click "Update."

Once you do all that, your new folder will be delivered instead of the old folder and your old folder will now be shown in the "Unassociated  Items" inventory above the "Manage Listings" inventory.  You can now safely delete the old folder so it isn't sitting in your "Unassociated" list forever.  

You will have to do that for every item you need to update.

Good luck!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Updating items with Marketplace is a real pain in the ass. I reccomend not to upload products to MP, but only vouchers, that will deliver the latest version on rez in world. Updating with the Magig Box worked with replacing the item (which could be done automatic by script). For updating with Direct Delivery, there is a 8 pages howto, that link I don't have at hand atm. You actually need to replace the product of your active listing.

FYI,

Mo Noel wrote:

Updating items with Marketplace is a real pain in the ass. I reccomend not to upload products to MP, but only vouchers, that will deliver the latest version on rez in world. Updating with the Magig Box worked with replacing the item (which could be done automatic by script). For updating with Direct Delivery, there is a 8 pages howto, that link I don't have at hand atm. You actually need to replace the product of your active listing.

I saw 2 merchant started selling these sort of vouchers (huds) that will deliver the item
I will tell you in advance that I will not buy items that way, and as i`m not alone, more people will refuse to do it

Deliver what i pay for and not another prone to fail delivery system wich gives me no proof of non-delivery unlike marketplace or LL account transaction overview

I'm starting to get a headache and I haven't even migrated to DD yet.  At the risk of annoying anyone who has already answered this:

I plan to keep my items boxed to send to DD.  Later, if all I want to do is change the instructions/info notecard in the boxed item, I'm assuming I need to upload a new box since a notecard would have no way to "jump" into the original box.  No biggie as that is what I basically do with MagicBoxes.

Was waiting to ask this until I migrated but since this thread is here, thought I'd throw it in. ;)

Alicia Sautereau wrote:

FYI,

Mo Noel wrote:

I saw 2 merchant started selling these sort of vouchers (huds) that will deliver the item

I will tell you in advance that I will not buy items that way, and as i`m not alone, more people will refuse to do it

Deliver what i pay for and not another prone to fail delivery system wich gives me no proof of non-delivery unlike marketplace or LL account transaction overview

There is a 3rd option:

Deliver your products as is with Marketplace, but ask your customers to check in world for updates and latest versions. This would only work, if you have an update process to update already sold products, though.

I can't spend 10 hours to update 100 items with the new DD update process, that replaces the old process to replace a product box. I simply don't have the time. With the magic box, this process was an automated one, which I did not need to care about. It just happened, without the need of any interaction, when I but dropped the box with the new product version into my in world vending system.

I do not have the extra day, as stated. That is, that I (prefer) to do something else in that time. If I would have the time, I would have replaced my products by a voucher, already, just to improove customer service.

But hey, we are in an age of information technology. This process could be done automatic. There is even proof, that it can be done automatic, as the process worked automatic since I started to sell on XstreetSL, I think it's been 2007.

So, what is bad about asking for a process, that is more convenient, then a 5 minute click, search & wait procedure per product?

But now, we are completely off topic.

Back to topic, the simple answer is: No, you can not add items in existing Marketplace folders, you have to upload a new folder. You have to log in to your merchant page at Marketplace, you have to search for your product listing , you have to change the folder associated, you have to search for the new folder and not to confuse it with other copies, you have to select it, you have to update the listing, you should do a test delivery and check the item delivered, if its really the correct one, you should visit your Marketplace web page, search for the old folder and delete it, you should try a second test delivery after that, just to be sure it still works. Expect the web page taking several, up to dozends of seconds of time with every step you make. It may happen, that your product becomes unlistable during that process. If you are lucky, you will be able to set the product to active and list it again, later. At my Marketplace, about 10 products (>12%) cannot be listed any more and Marketplace customer service fines you, if you come to the idea to fix that by just creating a new listing for the borked one, because that is not allowed. They actually fine you even, when the product gets listed twice because of quirks in the DD-Migration-process and you ask for help.

Just to compare with the old process:

A. without automation:
edit the magic box, wait for the contents to load, remove the old product-box, add the new product box. done.

B: with automation:
drop the new box into to your object that updates the magic box (and other servers) automatic. done.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Yes Czari; you would just replace the box. I do like not having to go to a MB inworld to do that, tho I do not like having to find the newly uploaded item and manually associate it.

Thanks, Pamela.
:)

Czari, replacing the box only works with magic box. it does not work with Direct Delivery folders. If you just upload a new folder, nothing really will happen - only that if you check your uploaded folders, Markeplace will show you a conflict, if you dig for it.

To update an item with Direct Delivery (e.g. if you want to add or replace a notecard),

• you have to upload a new folder with allcontents of the product.
  • You have to log in to your merchant page at Marketplace,
  • you have to search for your product listing ,
  • you have to change the folder associated,
  • you have to search for the new folder
  • and not to confuse it with other copies,
  • you have to select it,
  • you have to update the listing,
  • you should do a test delivery
  • and check the item delivered, if its really the correct one,
  • you should visit your Marketplace web page,
  • search for the old folder and try to delete it (it may work or not),
  • you should try a second test delivery after that, just to be sure it still works.

You should only process one item at a time, the process is prone of loosing track.

Expect the web page taking several, up to dozends of seconds of time with every step you make. It may happen, that your product becomes unlistable during that process. If you are lucky, you will be able to set the product to active and list it again, later. At my Marketplace, about 12% of my items cannot be listed any more after migrating and Marketplace customer service fines you, if you come to the idea to fix that by just creating a new listing for the borked one, because that is not allowed. They actually fine you even, when the product gets listed twice because of quirks in the DD-Migration-process and you ask for help.

Just to compare with the old process with magic box:

A. without automation:

• edit the magic box,
  • wait for the contents to load,
  • remove the old product-box, (you even can remove complete bunches of boxes at once)
  • add the new product box. (you even can ad complete bunches of boxes at once)

done.

B: with automation:

• edit the objet that updates the magic box (and other servers) automatic (no need to wait for loading contents, as the item always is empty, safe for one single script)
  • drop the new box of your product with updated contents into to your object that updates the magic box (and other servers) automatic. (you even can drop complete bunches of boxes at once)

done.

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Yes Czari; you would just replace the box. I do like not having to go to a MB inworld to do that, tho I do not like having to find the newly uploaded item and manually associate it.

Thanks, Pamela.

Czari, replacing the box only works with magic box. it does
not
work with Direct Delivery folders. If you just upload a new folder, nothing really will happen - only that if you check your uploaded folders, Markeplace will show you a conflict, if you dig for it.

I'm keeping my items packaged in boxes which is one of the DD options ie. upload boxes with the item or put the items in a folder.  I never had any automated anything so that is a moot issue for me.

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Mo Noel wrote:

Please vote for this, to make updating as easy as it has been the past 5 years:

The jira won't allow me to access it...due to LL closing public access to jiras last year.  I did try, though.

ok . how is it supposed to work then?

mobilize people to write their own, dublicate jira?

Basically, but who knows what happens at that point.

The way jiras are handled by LL changed last September - LL blog with info here.  A thread showing the initial responses of the community here.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Thanks, Pamela.

not
work with Direct Delivery folders. If you just upload a new folder, nothing really will happen - only that if you check your uploaded folders, Markeplace will show you a conflict, if you dig for it.

I'm keeping my items packaged in boxes which is one of the DD options ie. upload boxes with the item or put the items in a folder.  I never had any automated anything so that is a moot issue for me.

Still, same process. Just uploading a new box (which is  a new folder with but one item) will not replace the item that gets delivered. You need to follow the steps I have described.

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Thanks, Pamela.

not

Still, same process. Just uploading a new box (which is  a new folder with but one item) will not replace the item that gets delivered. You need to follow the steps I have described.

I realize that.  I wasn't referring to the steps.  Darrius Gothly and other regular posters on the Merchants Forums have posted very helpful guides beginning a year ago.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Mo Noel wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Thanks, Pamela.

not

I realize that.  I wasn't referring to the steps. 
and other regular posters on the Merchants Forums have posted very helpful guides beginning a year ago.

I really wonder, why not enough people opposed to that clunky, time consuming process, that is so prone for errors and full of bugs and replaces an smooth working process, that could be processed 100% automatic by in world tools.

I was hoping that LL would not break existing content, but they ignored my comments, obviously

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.