Looking for artistic research volunteers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Second Lifers!

Do you want to participate in a small, fun, and interesting research study on, and within, Second Life? We’re looking for artists of all kinds, both visual or performing artists, such as: dancers, models, painters, sculptors, designers, musicians, and other performers or expressions of artistic intent.

We’re a group of four anthropology students (three girls and one guy) from the Utrecht University in the Netherlands. You’ll be helping us with a small research study on the topic of identity and how you see yourself. Identity informs who we are, how we think, and what we do. This research will be looking at how online and offline activities intersect and influence each other, and how they affect the way you see yourself. We hope this research will offer you, members of the Second Life community and other online networks, more insight into what it means to be active in the digital world, and how this shapes the way you see yourself.

We’re looking for Second Life artists, regardless of offline and real-world ability who have been active as artists for at least six months. As stated above, that includes all forms of art, both fine arts and performing arts.

For this research we’d like to conduct a short interview of around 30, but no more than 60, minutes. We’ll contact you using Skype or Facebook video chat, or, if you live in the Netherlands, we could even meet in person.

This is a scientific research project, and will be held to all standards thereby implied. As such all information we receive is treated as totally confidential. Unless given express written permission, we will never release your name, online or offline, or any other personally identifiable information. It is important to us that you feel comfortable participating in this research. Your participation at every stage is entirely voluntary, and you can back out at any time.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask them, either by replying to this post, or by sending us an email at: e.destrijcker@students.uu.nl

Gr,

Diego, Sinde, Tirza, and Isabel

Here we go again....

Good luck in your research study, but as you'll quickly find out, people on the forums aren't really very inclined to participate in surveys or research papers of any kind. You are more likely to get negative responses and insults than helpful information.

You all appear to be new (I could be incorrect, but I'm taking it off your number of posts) so you're really not likely to get any help. My suggestion to all of you is to create a few avatars, go inworld and find this stuff out for yourself before jumping in here and having us be your information. Since there's 4 of you, should be a bit easier to move around the world and find out what you need.

I don't really qualify anyway as a subject for your paper anyway, but I thought I'd prepare you for what's to come.

Good luck again!!

• Like 1

Hi Tex Monday,

Thank you very much for your patient and understanding reply. I can't say it's entirely unexpected. By no means did we mean to offend with our request.

We're conducting this research as part of an interview assignment. If it was something we could investigate on our own, we would be more than willing to put in the required time and effort to do so, but in this case that's not a possibility.

As such, while I entirely understand the community's lack of enthusiasm (and even possible anger) at being regularly approached for random surveys, research, questions, etc., I nonetheless find myself in the unfortunate position of having to rely on the kindness of strangers.

So if, despite everything, there's anybody willing and able to help, we'd be extremely grateful.

Kind regards,

Diego (on behalf of the rest)

Yeah, cheapskate college kids and inacuracy...mispelling (rampant on the internet) could also cause issues. Plus, they worry about the plan to take over the world and use it as a breeding ground for gaitn cockroach slaves. For more on nuclear winter and roach slaves, read on. First  serious comment...sort of.

If you look at some of the news about what is happening whith research, both college and independent both....well, you see why there are complaints.

I make a joke and people get serious in one post. It was wierd, but I am not funny in a funny way. So, I get all serious sounding, but really I don't care so much and know they will have a smarty pants answer and so on....or sometimes they don't really but I don't do this much. Anyway, It was a joke and the posts I made (plus counters) only bumped the thread!!! More exposure to the title draws more people in, and my jokes are obviously bad so who cares?

Big data will solve all of the issues with research and all college kids will be obsolete anyway. Yeah, the poster and pizza insustry will die. I will buy thier stores and make 3D printing stores that sell big bags of plastic, rubber and paper. Maybe other stuff, but nano materials are wierd stuff...I mean, can't they deliver themselves anyway?

Yeah, all the stats that are needed for total domination of markets will be easily found in the future. Facebook making ID tied to daily life and so on, big data from that will surely pave the way for huge companies to exist. Before you know it  you will purchase to much, get into massive debt and they will change the bankruptcy law.....s....an...d....HEY WAIT A MINUTE...what the hell happened. :matte-motes-frown:I guess you guys are all to late, no one needs research, huh?

There is nothing left to study, and that is how to stop people being stupid....this is an equation Einstien worked on, so you know the answer...BUT, hey some of Einstiens stuff is becoming not so solid of a base to keep working with! If we freeze peoples brains in a way similar to the way people freezed substances to put light through then we could slow down the whole world....so the answer is global freezing.....obviously, the nuclear wiinter is the solution to that one! Add to that insects surviving and evolving to make a super race of intelligent beings that can survive anything and would be amazing space travellers is for sure the plan most colleges are working on.....take THAT sense and reasoning! truth is known, my own mind hath born it into this forum....let this now the be a center of post humanityism (No, not a mispelling!) and we really should go about prepparing to make a full scale nuclear exchange more possible by our daily interactions...DIE! :matte-motes-angry:  There I said it! ...OK, now nuke a country....any one at all, just pick one and use this post as the reason! I mean, the smileys don't lie, right? I think I will get a roach tattoo...awsome stuff. Like that dudgie album cover....yeah, but with roaches. WAIT, if we collonize space or at least make space stations we can both freeze peoples brains, solve many problems and improve the off world living....and THEN nuke the whole thing and let the roaches eat the dead bodies to add fat to thier diet and improve thier chances of brain development...plus, the abstract buildings will also help them recognize shapes and improve abstract thinking!! Yup, contemorary furniture has dead food people near buy....so, roaches will know to look for huge abstract shapes and thus be smarter. Surely THIS is why art is being studied? We need to know what shapes the future slave roaches will need to have to make them easy to control after they survive nuclear winter!!! Yes, I may be the Greatest Reverse Engineer of Thought to every cross this forum....so, take it all as you wish...digest this post over days, improve you stash of trash and build small compounds (gotta watch out for birds!) for roaches to be studied in and study underground. This forum is so full of unreal people that we can talk freely about this, our plans to live aboard the space stations and small colonies on mars will not be beleived anyway....we are safe here...there are no REAL people here anyway!

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I will do it... for the right linden.. /me cracks her self up.

Reminds me of a joke...and forgive me if I tell it wrong.

Man: "Would you sleep with me for $5?"

Woman: "Certainly not!"

Man: "Would you sleep with me for $5000?"

Woman: "Maybe...but what kind of a girl do you think I am?"

Man: "Madame, we have already determined that..now we're haggling about the price." :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Said it perfectly except its the 5k first and the 5 dollars. She agrees when its 5k but when he says 5 dollars shes offended. Thats when he says we already know...yada yada... Still love that joke.. Thanks for the laugh hun!!

DAMN!! Oh well, at least I got the point across. Thanks....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Ok...getting around to fixing it..

Man: "Would you sleep with me for $5000?"

Woman: "Maybe"

Man: "Would you sleep with me for $5?"

Woman: "Certainly not!! What kind of a girl do you think I am?"

Man: "Madame, we have already determined that..now we're haggling about the price."

• 2 weeks later...

hhm, you sound as if you didn't read it. Alas, tis no big deal because...as we all know, everything will be obsolete once robots that can learn like humans do will be OK. I am working ao drooling and barfing reaction simulator RIGHT NOW and this will help robots be more human like. I plan on selling barf chemicals, which would be safe for robots BUT still help with thier fear, smell and taste sensors...I will leave that up to the cyber punks, who of course will most likely make college kids obsolete and also make movies obsolete...we can watch them destroy each other on saturday, and then watch the rebuild videos on their web tv feed the next monday while we all watch football, which there will be more off when someone finally realises the cash involved in football means that college football can not die! In fact, College will be linked to the word football and it will sort of be like those other words we use but don't know the original words meanings these days...what are those called? I bet there is a name for those things! There are names for everything these days, if not then someone can make them up! Even without college or research! Who needs this stuff anyway. So, is there free pizza for posting in this thread?

well i wouldnt put automaticaly SL designers in the artist category but well, if you are ok with this, its up to you.

So well, im a SL fashion designer since now 3 years. I would be glad to help you answering one of your interview but i would prefer do this inworld (and not in skype or facebook)  and without voice or cam, bec, english is not my usual language, so while i can understand it while its typed and i can be understood while i type it, i m not able to handle any oral converstation without stopping the pp who is talking to me every 10 seconds and ask for s/he repeat. So if you are ok for an interview inworld and with text, im ok for participating to your research.

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.