"unable to connect to simulator"

nellymonkone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Hello nellymonkone,

currently all regions in Second Life are being restarted, probably the region where you tried to login is currently offline.

Try again, and at the login screen enter a different region as startup region (e.g. your home location).

ETA: You can find information about the so-called "rolling restarts" here: http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ - rolling restarts are every Tuesday.

Welcome to Tuesday in SL :)

Rolling restarts happen pretty much every Tuesday, so this message will be around a lot today. Try logging in to another area, or just wait a bit. The problem will be solved as soon the region is restarted, which doesn't usually take very long. If you absolutely HAVE to log in RIGHT NOW, you can try different regions until you find one that works.

• Like 1

At times, when attempting to log in, you will get a message like “Unable to connect to simulator”. Unfortunately, this message can be the result of several different things. This page covers some of the more common - and more rare - cases when this might occur.

• Your Internet Connection is Down Check whether you are able to connect to the 'net using a web browser; try to use it to visit a known website. If that fails, then the first thing to try is to unplug your modem/router for at least a full minute, then once plugged back in, allow then to go through startup, after which reboot your computer. If after this you are still unable to connect to the Internet with a web browser, you will probably need to contact your ISP to have your connection checked.
  • Your Router and/or Modem has Problems Repeat the same things as above.
  • Your Firewall is Preventing the Connection Try disabling your firewall software completely and then try to log in again. If you are successful, then you need to allow the viewer access through the firewall. Some tips on how to do that are here.
  • Buildup of Open Notifications It is possible for a buildup of too many notifications to cause Firestorm to disconnect during or shortly after login. If you experience such disconnections repeatedly on Firestorm, then follow the instructions under “Firestorm Logs Out During Login” here.
  • Domain Name Server (DNS) Issues Users of Firestorm may get “Unable to connect to simulator”, or a message specifically saying that there are issues with the DNS. In that case refer to this page for how to proceed.
  • Region is Down It is possible that the region you are trying to log into is down. So try again but select a different region name at the log in screen. Some regions you can try: Hippo Hollow, Aich, Hatton, Pooley.  IT'S TUESDAY!!

Here is the LL reference to that error message. Perhaps it will help.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109

In my experience, I have seen that message most often when (1) my login sim has gone down (either the sim where you have your home position set or the sim of your last location), or (2) My internet connection has gone dead. However you could also see it if your account had been suspended or you didn't have your viewer pointed to the correct grid (the SL grid).

I hope this helps a little.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.