SL Viewer Desktop Icon

Zangeres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some applications let you opt out as the last step of installation - a box appears with a few options to check or uncheck. I don't remember if SL does that or not, it's been so long since I downloaded my viewer. Is there a particular reason you don't want to let it download the desktop icon, then just delete it?

Simply to address the worst case, I'm going to assume you don't want your wife to know you're playing Second Life, and that she knows more about computers than you do.

Therefore, as well as the icon on the desktop, you should delete the Second Life folder in Start / Programs (Don't worry, everything there is also elsewhere - you're just deleting handy, but not essential, links).

Now, if Windows is set up so your Start Menu shows recently used programs, we have to get tricky. Right click on the icon for SecondLife.exe (in C:\Program Files\Second Life) and chose 'change icon'. Where it says "Look for icons in this file:" enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

There you'll find all kinds of icons, you may choose anything you want. Next, you should change the name, just make sure it ends in .exe - you might call it something boring that your wife wouldn't look at, like GolfScorePro.exe

While you're at it, you should rename the Second Life folder in your Program files folder, as well.

Now, right click on GolfScorePro.exe, and choose Send To / Desktop (create icon). Ta da! A handy icon on your desktop to launch Second Life that your wife will totally ignore. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4074 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.