How do you Make Mesh Pants in Blender 2.6?

Deezy Abruzzo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK i know its a broad question... I know the basics of Blender 2.65 but, I dont know where to begin making pants. I can do shirts. However when it comes to the legs I dont know how to go about it. Do I start with a cube? Or, should i outline the torso of the avatar mesh duplicate and separate it.  The later has terrible results because the domino mesh is a mess...vertices are not aligned and a lot of verts are not joined. I have looked all over the net and reviewed many tutorials but none explain how to make pants for SL.  A general starting point would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

It seems odd that you are confident in Mesh Shirt creation, but cannot even grasp a starting point for pants in Blender. Just saying, but oh well.

I cannot really give you a starting point or a tutorial link, but I can tell you that a lot of "Mesh" Pants are not really mesh at all. it is much better to just use regular Second Life pants with a texture template as a base and make mesh attachments (like chains, belts, or pockets). Perhaps that can help.

I also find it very strange you can make shirts but not pants. Can you teach me how to make the shirts? xD They're hard for me.

Anyways, I'm not a pro here, but you could try to use two cilinders, one for each leg, stretch them to the crotch area and then connect the vertices in crotch with Fill. Then you chould be able to select the ring of vertices nicely and extrude up to the waist. Finally, apply a shrikwrap modifier. I usually pick as a target "project" and select the avatar model. Works preatty well.

That should give you a preatty good base to start working with. You can then apply the modifier and do your modeling and sculpting. If you want to use a mirror modifiers I suggest doing it after the shrikwrap modifier. Blender just has some weird quirks sometimes.

And of course, add edge loops and subdivisions wherever you need (legs, crotch area, etc).

Good luck!

If you know how to make a shirt you should know the shortcuts I am about to mention. If not just let me know.

If I was making a pair of pants i would start with a cube, loop cut ir around the crotch area. You can then extrude the faces for each leg. After you've done that and have a basic shape you would go back and make it round, add in details you want, and all that other stuff.

Guilliaume wrote:

it is much better to just use regular Second Life pants with a texture template as a base and make mesh attachments (like chains, belts, or pockets). Perhaps that can help.

Well done rigged mesh pants always look much better than system pants.

With mesh pants one can hide the not so good looking avatar's mesh butt. :matte-motes-big-grin:

system-vs-mesh-pants-1.jpg

system-vs-mesh-pants-2.jpg

Duplicate and separate. Alt+s to size along normals slightly to give the pants slight thickness. You can get more quality by sculpting high res details and retopologising, but I get the impression that you need to work up to that stage.

Note that it doesn't matter if the vertices line up or not, as it is expected that you would use an alpha map to hide the occluded parts of the default avatar to prevent visible clipping

In addition to the above replies, have a look here : http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Building-and-Texturing-Forum/Blender-tutorials-for-Second-Life/m-p/1913727#M8606
In this post I have given the user several links to tutorials of that matter. (such a Gaia's Tuts on making clothes for SL etc)

In this Post here you will find my answer regarding workflow and editing of pants: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Proportional-Edit-Sizing-Workflow/m-p/1915101#M19530

Also the "lining up" of vertices with the original Avatar or custom avatarmesh that will wear this piece of clothing 'is' important on 'certain spots'. Especially keeping the edgeflow and similar location  of certain loops where the underlying avatar would bend and reshape when being animated. (such as knees, neck, shoulders, elbows etc)

You can hide the avatar beneath with an alpha texture but it won't help when the knees kinda rather bend on an area above or below (unless its wanted that way) because you maybe have a big single loop with huge faces going in a weird angle around that area instead of some edgeloops of the same flow. Also important as in being able to have similar areas of loops and vertices to assign weights to for certain bodyparts.  (if you have one big faced loop around the belly you could not bend your model correctly in that spot it would rather just fold on the lower end of that loop and in a very harsh manner. And just adding more faces and loops is also not a desirable solution. Since you have to keep the poly and vertices count optimized and as low as possible.

When creating clothing items you kind of have to keep the mesh-'anatomy' / topology of the avatar mesh which should wear those in mind.  Plus the positions of joints in the bone's armature to know where certain edgeloops have to be.

As well as a similar mesh density and the all-over topology being close to the model that piece of clothe will be assigned to. This is not only to ensure similar looks its also necessary to create a usable piece that will work well together and behave correctly with the avatar model beneath.

so yes in general the best way to make a good piece of clothing is to model it around the avatarmesh and keep eyes on its structure and bonepositions weightings etc. and yes again: a cube with subdivision modifier is mostly where it all starts ; )

Have fun creating, Cheers! Code

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.