Please help with Mesh Texture Problem (Cinema 4D)

Nicole Hansome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi :)

I have created a little test shelf in Cinema 4D (see pictures below) and on the pictures you can see what my problem is. I always get those ugly bright edges. I have no idea what im doing wrong...When i render it in Cinema 4D it looks clean without those edges.. Once i load it up it on SL it looks like that.

Could anyone please tell me what the possible problem is ? is it a problem with the Mesh model itself ? or is it rather an uv map and/or texturing problem ? and what can i do to fix it ?

Thanks in advance :)

Snapshot_002.jpg

Snapshot_003.jpg

That looks like a UV/texture issue. By the looks of it you have a white background for your texture. You could change it to black, but chances are you will get black lines in other places then. What should work, IF this is the issue, is expanding your texture into the background, or pulling your UV points inside the texture. This will prevent the bleeding from the background onto your texture.

In most 3D programs you can bake your textures a bit bigger than the UV islands, in Cinema 4D it's called "Pixelborder" .

In this forum it's discussed for Cinema 4D: Unity3D

Your UV islands do need some distance between them of course, so the "pixelborder" doesn't overlap.

• Like 2

Just wanted to add that I had another "issue" today with lower LODs showing a line  (like the vase in my question the other day). Happily only one piece of a complex build was showing the problem. Rather than bringing all those UV vertexes in from the border, I upped the bake margins quite a bit and that helped a LOT. There is still a tiny line but it will never show up when the texture is on.

So this is an important thing to know :D.  Yeah. I also learned how to mirror parts of my UV map today (something I apparently did by accident last month - LOL. On purpose is better.

Chic Aeon wrote:

So this is an important thing to know
:D
.  Yeah. I also learned how to mirror parts of my UV map today (something I apparently did by accident last month - LOL. On purpose is better.

Just mirror or mirror and overlap? You can save a lot of valuable texture space by overlapping UV islands. I think it was Maeve who posted a floor a couple of months ago where all the tiles were mirrored/rotated. A very irregular, natural effect with only four tiles on the texture as I remember. You can forget about baking in occlusion or shadows on a floor like that, but on a symmetrical build you can still "reuse" a lot of your texture.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4175 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.