Does this mean my IT department blocked SL?

Vasili Komarov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bear with me, I'm complately NOT a networking person.

At work, I've been connecting to SL via the open wireless connection. (I know, naughty me... I should be working.) For months, it has worked fine. All of a sudden though, I can't log in. But... what happens is: I hit "Log in" and I get the usual progress bar, with all of the usual messages... loading textures, connecting to region, etc.... and then sometimes I will actually see my avatar in-world.... but then I get the pop up saying "You've been logged out of SL, the region may be experiencing trouble, etc."

Oddly, my friends actual see me coming online in their friends lists... but then I drop back out.

My question is: if my IT department has somehow detected that I'm using the wireless for SL, and they did something to disable it, would I be able to get that close to being logged in? Because technically it looks like I'm getting in... but I just can't stay in for more than a second.

Anyone know?

Clearly you have not been blocked on the network.  My first guess is that something has moved into the path between you and your wireless base.  That could be a metal bookcase, for example. That could weaken the signal enough to bring your packet loss down to the point where SL gives up on the connection.  Try moving your antenna around; you may find a place where reception is better.  

TKR

Does it also happen with another avatar? If not, it could also be notifications or gestures causing a timeout during login, effectively logging you out. You might want to try the "Firestorm Logs out During Login" part described at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_install_crash - this is written for Firestorm, so depending on what viewer you use, you might have to look into a different path, for instance "SecondLife" if you use the official viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.