WIndows ran an automatic update

Darla Sockington

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

You might try going back to a restore point assuming Windows sets them for you or YOU do :D.  There were some major issues with a Windows update about a year and a half ago for some of us. Eventually it worked itself out. If you choose to go back to a time before the update, be sure and turn autoupdate off. You can wait a week or so, set another restore point and see if the problem is fixed or persists. No other ideas besides that.

Once you restore back to a restore point the worked for you before the latest update go to the settings for Windows Update.  Change the default setting from "Allow Windows Update to automatically install updates" to "Let Windows Update check for and notify you of important and recommended updates".  You'll get the notification of new updates available and you can then go to Win Update at your leisure, look at the updates and choose which to install yourself.  When you do that really take a look at the updates Windows has chosen to be installed.  Uncheck any driver updates before updating.  When Windows updates drivers it treats those updates as any other update and installs the new version over the top of the old..........for drivers that is the major cause to driver issues (remove the old first, then install the new is the proper way to update drivers).

When Windows finds a driver for your computer you can hide it by right clicking on the version Windows finds and check "Hide"........you won't see it anymore until you go back and "unhide hidden updates".  You can make a note that a driver is available and go to the manufacturer's driver update site and update if you want.  For video drivers you don't need to update to every new driver that is released.  If the driver you are using works for your needs it's best to leave it alone.  If something comes along where a new driver is necessary and you decide you want that new something, then update.  Or if something happens (such as a major system crash or you decide to re-install your operating system) go get the driver you want.  And so you can always get the same driver or the one that you know works just make a note with the driver version number and date of release (I keep a little 3 x 5 card index with stuff like that.  I do that because I sometimes get a wild hair and wipe my hard drive and start over.....a lesson hard learned years ago).

The problem, I think, is that SL doesn't always recognise the graphics drivers Windows installs, as opposed to those you install yourself from the driver manufacturer's website.  

I had no end of problems with Windows updating my Nvidia drivers this way, and it may well be the case with other manufacturers' drivers too.

What I did, when the guy who maintains my PC explained this to me, is:

• Downloaded the latest driver for my graphics card from the manufacturer's website
  • Manually uninstalled all existing drivers, using the procedure explained here (don't rely on the driver's uninstaller).
  • Installed the driver I had previously downloaded.
  • Tested that SL would now load properly.
  • Found Windows Update in my Control Panel and set it to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them".

That's fixed it for me.   I have also asked Nvidia to email me when a new driver is issued for my card, and keep the driver updated that way.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.