Sl Issues

LilMistyLebed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anyone else having major issues with second life i know i am about most of my sl family is. When we tp we are tped to a safe hub or it doesnt work or just crashes us. We lag horrible and cant rez or deres a thing our clothes dont wanna work most of the time. When we do tp somewhere our avatar is still in the same place butvoice and whatnot are at the other location. Or others still see our avatars and can see what they are doing from the other location sounds strange but its true. We cant move when we try too and just stay in one place. its been going on for a week now and its driving us all nuts. It doesnt just happen at one place but places we all go. voice is crackly also and sometimes doesnt work  i dont know if its sl or our viewers.

That sounds like a connection problem:  Router failure, modem problem,  Wi-Fi, or ISP, Here are some suggestions:

Login fails? Lots of logouts? Summary 

Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection

If your SL family is widely dispersed in real geography, connecton problems are not likely.  I am not seeing or hearing about  such problems in SL.  If problems were extensive, you would be reading about them in the forums.

TKR

My girl is having major issues, she crashes every 20-30 minutes, her computer has to work hard to run the SL viewer, and it's a new laptop... her computer keeps giving her a "high memory usage" alert before it shuts down, and it identifies SL as the cause. She has 4GB DDR Ram just like me, and can go into any other site but SL without problems. Maybe the fact that she is in the UK on a different server is the issue, I really don't know.. and it's frustrating and very expensive to try and keep up with it. Soon she won't even be able to log-in to SL, and we will move to another grid.

I upgraded my graphics card to try and solve the lag, crash and log out issues I was having and it worked fine until this last couple of weeks when the new code changes were instituted. Now I am slowly heading back into a degrading Second Life. What a crock.I have spoken to person after person in SL who say the same thing.

I have 60 MEG high speed cable service, so I know for a fact its not a connection issue. It  seems that blaming everything but the themselves seems to be the way of LL, they take no responsibility for their part in screwing up peoples' experience by constantly changing it. I personally suspect it's done on purpose, but that's just my instincts talking.

I don't understand why Linden Labs has to keep changing it to make it harder for us to stay in SL. seems like bad business sense to me, I am going to cancel my premium membership since I get the impression they don't really care one way or the other about us. I should think you would want to make it easier for people to come in and stay in SL, not harder. But hey what do I know, I am not a corporation.

Caoilte Skytower wrote:

My girl is having major issues, she crashes every 20-30 minutes, her computer has to work hard to run the SL viewer, and it's a new laptop... her computer keeps giving her a "high memory usage" alert before it shuts down, and it identifies SL as the cause. She has 4GB DDR Ram just like me, and can go into any other site but SL without problems.

Is this a blue-screen error? 'Dumping Physical Memory' and then restart? If so, it's likely an issue with faulty RAM. A specific error code is going to be far more useful than a general summary of the problem. Also note that DDR is not very fast RAM, typically these days 'new' computers run on the third iteration of the DDR platform, known as DDR3. And that 4Gb is generally quite a low amount; Windows 7 on its own will suck down nearly half of that. Further, laptops are not and never will be 'well-designed' to run SL; they don't have the number crunching potential.

Caoilte Skytower wrote:

I have 60 MEG high speed cable service, so I know for a fact its not a connection issue.

There are many other problems you can have with your connection than just your connection speed to your router. WiFi for example is inadequate for Second Life, use a wire. DNS, routing, traffic-shaping (if your ISP does this) and box or exchange throughput will all put a strain on your connection to Second Life. Do more tests than just assuming you're fine.

Caoilte Skytower wrote:

But hey what do I know, I am not a corporation.

Clearly, they all left AGES ago. Something about it being too hard to come in and stay in SL. :D

Yeah, I have my ethernet directly into my comp, so wireless isn't an issue. 

I have been in SL for over 4 years now, most of that time on a laptop. It is only recently, within the last year that I went to a desktop, and I personally don't have a lot of problems now, but like I said it's mainly because I upgraded my graphics card at a cost of 200 USD that I really couldnt afford to spend.... money I probably would have spent in SL over time. 

But a lot of people really can't afford to be upgrading every time LL decides to change things, honestly. I don't understand why they just can't leave something that works, they would get a lot more people into the site and a lot less complaints. 

Just seems that they blame everything else but their changes for issues. I can practically trace my issues right down to the very day that the code changes. coincidence? nah I doubt it.

Thanks for your insight, though.. it does help.

• 2 weeks later...

If you check out the Jira, you'll see there's more wrong than normal. And those that use Firestorm, the Q&A video, although a bit on the techy side, will explain more about what's going on with ALL viewers and why we're all having more problems then normal. Seems like it's not going to get better anytime soon either.

Hang in there! We will too!

• 6 months later...

MissHolyDiverAngel wrote:

I am been having the same propblem and having a hard time trying to stay on without lagging! I'm on a nice machine too as well! Mine is Intel Celeron 2.46
Two gigs of ram
. My other one was dual core 2 the same thing, and there times It can lag but not bad. My celeron does lag very hard core!

Well there's your problem right there.. 2 GB of ram? you need a lot more.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

MissHolyDiverAngel wrote:

I am been having the same propblem and having a hard time trying to stay on without lagging! I'm on a nice machine too as well! Mine is Intel Celeron 2.46
Two gigs of ram
. My other one was dual core 2 the same thing, and there times It can lag but not bad. My celeron does lag very hard core!

Well there's your problem right there.. 2 GB of ram? you need a lot more.

That depends. I have a computer running Linux, 4 GB of RAM. When idle, it uses about 10% of that memory, about the same as an XP installation. SL adds another 15% or so. Going by those numbers, 2GB should be plenty, as long as you don't run a lot of other memory intensive applications.

My Win 7 computer uses about 2GB when idle. Any addition, SL or not, would mean 2GB is not enough.

So again, it really depends.

@OP

Just open the task manager (assuming the computer in question runs Windows) and see if there is any memory left.

It could also be an issue with the graphics card or internet connection. It would help if you posted all your specs. In SL open the help menu and click "About Second Life", post the results here on the forums. Don't expect any fireworks from either computer, especially on higher graphical settings, both machines are pretty slow by today's standards.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3872 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.