help with Start up.

Shadeacidic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

That's impossible to say, but I agree that it doesn't sound good.  We can't tell, because you didn't tell us anything about what sort of computer you are trying to run SL on, or anything about it (like its graphics card, for example).  Did you check to be sure that it meets SL's minimum standards?  Has it ever run for you before?  Click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT to tell us anything that might be useful. Please do NOT start a new thread.

It sounds like a firewall or anti-virus might be blocking SL.  It's hard to tell from such a brief statement and no computer specs but the hour glass indicates that your computer is trying to do something but has not completed whatever it is that it's doing.  In this case it sounds like the computer is waiting for the connection to the servers to complete.  Have you tried waiting it out?  I don't know how long the built in browser for the viewer takes to time out (I'm pretty sure that is the browser the SL viewer uses by default for connecting to the log in page which I think your computer is waiting for).  With just the white screen and busy hour glass there's no indication that your graphics card or you computer are the problem (though they could be......it's not my first inclination to think it's that severe, yet). 

You might try a clean re-installation of the viewer.  Do that by uninstalling the SL viewer, then doing a complete computer search for anything related to Second Life and manually deleting what is found.  Then go to the SL website and download another copy of the viewer.  Save the setup file to your hard drive......do not run from the website (that can cause issues with corrupted files).  Scan the downloaded setup file for mal-ware before installing.

Computer specifications would help but this was an issue mid 2012 with some of the latest AMD cards such as the 7970 when they first came out. Far as I can recall, the eventual fix was to update the graphics card driver to 12.11 (or later). You can add comments using Options/Edit to the right of your post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.