Odd Material Effect - Blender

Charles Hera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made some artist canvases. The single one has six materials (five with textures) - woodframe, back paper, hanger, side canvas, front canvas, wire.  The single frame works as you expect it to. When you take a copy -- either by dragging or by taking into inventory, the texture on the face of the canvas (say a painting) remains.

On the sets of three, made by duplicating the original single in Blender object mode and then resizing and positioning, whatever is on the "painting" face of the set (all three painting faces take on the same painting but two are against the wall) disappears. They KEEP the canvas texture on the sides (IF one has been added first)  which I no doubt  at one time had the same material setting as the front.

So I can see what is happening but I am confused as to why. There are still only six materials in the set as each of the canvases are all mapped the same. The color code (diffuse) on the materials comes out correctly with the sixth color being on the "painting" face.

Note that the canvas sets of three DO take the painting graphic, they just can't KEEP it. A puzzle.

UPDATE:  I did a little test and if you place a texture on the face of the painting area it simply disappears on log off as well as when copying. So it is acting very much like a temp texture. I am beginning to think that this is a limitation in the uploader rather than anything else. VERY odd.

And another bit of info. I WAS using the official and latest release of the LL viewer :D before someone suggests that issue.

Thanks for any input. Photo below.

paintingexample.png

There is a bug that happens that results in wrong allocation of textures to faces when the lower LODs have fewer materials than higher LODs (a subset - that is allowed, but not useable because of this bug). I have only seen it when returning to high LOD after switching to lower LOD, but perhaps there is another minifestation on copying? So - do you have exactly the same set of materials at all LODs? What happens when you change LOD high -> low -> high? (You can do that by changing RenderVolumeLODFactor under Advanced->Show debug settings).

ETA. I just retested to see that the bug isn't fixed yet. The uploader does give an error message and the dreaded red cross, but it still lets you upload with a subset of textures at the lower LODs, and the textures are still wrongly allocated. So I tried a shift-drag copy with the example from the jira, ans sure enough, it produced the same mis-allocation of textures. So I think this might well be your problem. I think the bug is old enough that it's still visible - http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28612

copymatartefact.jpg

(note - the copy is left behind when you drag the original)

OK. Aside from the fact that I don't completely understand what you are saying LOL, I think this is probably it.

I don't make my own LODs so the uploader does what it does. I have never had an issue before. In theory since "I" didn't make any new LOD files, the uploader should have been using the same texture set? Again, don't really understand this.

I didn't get any error message when uploading as you mentioned -- so perhaps not; maybe a whole new bug. Whatever, good to know I am not completely crazy. This, or a version of the issue, does sound like my problem. It was VERY strange to watch the texture disappear when you dragged a copy. Bizarre really.

Thanks for the info.

And, yes, it DID leave the canvas texture on when I dragged it and took the "painting" off, so this seems to fit. Maybe it isn't just when you have fewer materials in the lower LODs as I assume they would have been the same (but maybe not).

I hope it doesn't happen again and since I didn't make my lower LODS I'd like to know how to keep it FROM happening :D.   Maybe a hit and miss thing as that seems to be the norm. Happily things often work perfectly.

Well, the uploader is supposed to keep the same materials in each LOD when you use the auto-generated ones. As long as that works, the bug I described shouldn't happen. However, I suppose it's possible that it doesn't work as it's supposed to. Maybe it gets confused when there are multiple objects. It certainly looks as if the bugs are related even if not identical.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.