A simple question Please!

IvanTwin Rogers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sorry for my english i try to write the better possible,

My question is, i know the mesh items are better than a simple prims cube because have more face, so i know they look better, but why the texture or a sinple color looks better in  a mesh flat wall than in a regular prims wall, i see in the sl marquet a sellers with a mesh home parts, they are a simple mesh flat walls parts so that is have any advantge over a simple regular prims?

I do not mean to complex objects,i know the mesh complex objects are better, I mean simple objects such as squares, walls, rectangles and cubes for example I can build a simple wall and put a color , red, white or any color or a simple texture color in a regular not mesh prim so is there a difference if I do that  in a mesh flat wall the color is better? the texture looks better than in a regular prims.

My opinion of course :D

Sometimes they are NOT. Prims are still very relevant. They won't be going away any time soon. While a "mesh cube" can be .5, so can a regular prim cube simply by setting it to convex hull in the features tab.

The big advantage of simple shapes in mesh is when they have ambient maps attached to them. Actually some folks have been using ambient maps on regular prims for a long while now. Those are the designers we all (well me anyway) oohed and aahed over as there stuff looked SO good. They simply made mesh items, made the maps and then put the maps on a prim. I SO didn't know how that was even though some folks told me " they made them in 3D software".

So some of the items on the marketplace are sort of missleading. There is no advantage -- that I can see -- over a prim cube and a real cube. What mesh will do in simple shapes is let you put a 2:3 ratio window into a wall (a nice thing). The difference you see (I am guessing) is that ambient map that is applied to the mesh prim.

IMHO ambient maps are the BEST (well there is the land impact count on complex items so maybe next to best) feature of mesh.

So, it isn't actually the mesh in those instances ,  it is th ambient texture that was made within the 3D program, exported as a png and then placed on the mesh object.

There are plenty of folks that make mesh without ambient maps but for me that would be a complete waste. I am all about the subtle nuances in the shading :D.

Chic Aeon wrote:

My opinion of course
:D

Sometimes they are NOT. Prims are still very relevant. They won't be going away any time soon. While a "mesh cube" can be .5, so can a regular prim cube simply by setting it to convex hull in the features tab.

The big advantage of simple shapes in mesh is when they have ambient maps attached to them. Actually some folks have been using ambient maps on regular prims for a long while now. Those are the designers we all (well me anyway) oohed and aahed over as there stuff looked SO good. They simply made mesh items, made the maps and then put the maps on a prim. I SO didn't know how that was even though some folks told me " they made them in 3D software".

So some of the items on the marketplace are sort of missleading. There is no advantage -- that I can see -- over a prim cube and a real cube. What mesh will do in simple shapes is let you put a 2:3 ratio window into a wall (a nice thing). The difference you see (I am guessing) is that ambient map that is applied to the mesh prim.

IMHO ambient maps are the BEST (well there is the land impact count on complex items so maybe next to best) feature of mesh.

So, it isn't actually the mesh in those instances ,  it is th ambient texture that was made within the 3D program, exported as a png and then placed on the mesh object.

There are plenty of folks that make mesh without ambient maps but for me that would be a complete waste. I am all about the subtle nuances in the shading
:D

Can you explain to me what is ambient map? is a textures with lights? or is a complex textures? why the ambient texture looks better in a mesh than a regular non mesh prims? i can put ambient textures in a regular not mesh prims?

and thanks for you explanation,

There might also be an advantage in LI.  I have a shop, I purchased the building years ago, it was made of 52 simple prims. I recently made a close copy of it, it using mesh.  I ended up with a building nearly identical to the original, but with LI 8.  And if I make a simple mesh box, to use as a sign, and link it to the main building, the LI stays at 8.  I have to link several simple mesh objects to it, before the LI goes to 9.

Chic Aeon wrote:

So some of the items on the marketplace are sort of missleading. There is no advantage -- that I can see -- over a prim cube and a real cube.

There is one big advantage. A primitive box in SL has 108 triangles (each side is made out of 3x3 squares) on the highest LoD. A mesh box has only 12, or even less if you remove any sides you will never see. So a straight mesh wall without any sides, top or bottom only takes 4 triangles. As your camera moves away from the object, the difference between prim and mesh will get smaller, since even something as simple as an SL prim box has different LoD models.

The advantage won't be directly visible, but you can imagine a sim full of mesh boxes will be a lot easier on a graphics card than primitive boxes. This, at least in theory, should result in more fps.

@ Ivan

As far as I know textures will appear exactly the same on a mesh object as they will on a prim. That is unless you're working with very complicated objects, like sculpts. For mesh you can make your own UV maps, which means you can give some parts of your object a lot of detail (using a big part of the texture) and some parts hardly any (using only a small part of the texture).

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Chic Aeon wrote:

So some of the items on the marketplace are sort of missleading. There is no advantage -- that I can see -- over a prim cube and a real cube.

There is one big advantage. A primitive box in SL has 108 triangles (each side is made out of 3x3 squares) on the highest LoD. A mesh box has only 12, or even less if you remove any sides you will never see. So a straight mesh wall without any sides, top or bottom only takes 4 triangles. As your camera moves away from the object, the difference between prim and mesh will get smaller, since even something as simple as an SL prim box has different LoD models.

The advantage won't be directly visible, but you can imagine a sim full of mesh boxes will be a lot easier on a graphics card than primitive boxes. This, at least in theory, should result in more fps.

@ Ivan

As far as I know textures will appear exactly the same on a mesh object as they will on a prim. That is unless you're working with very complicated objects, like sculpts. For mesh you can make your own UV maps, which means you can give some parts of your object a lot of detail (using a big part of the texture) and some parts hardly any (using only a small part of the texture).

Thanks very much for your answer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.