New region crossing behavior

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the latest server rollouts, I'm seeing a new behavior on crossing from my home region of Masocado to the adjoining region of The Channel.

At the region crossing, I am facing out to sea, only empty ocean ahead.  Suddenly, I start to see partial images of buildings  and other things that are, in reality, behind me.  It looks like I am about to crash into them.  After several seconds, the region crossing is complete, the new region has the data, and things go back to normal.

This is much more unsettling than the old behavior, of rubberbanding or sinking below the ocean surface for a moment or two.  I hope that LL's "improvements" to region crossing behavior don't continue to exhibit this.

Hi, Lindal. Yeah, this is a very weird effect, but in fact it has been around for a while. I'm sure Firestorm has a jira about it, and I think there's a matching one in the LL jira (it happens in both viewers) but I'm not finding either one at the moment.

There may still be some uncertainty whether it's viewer- or server-side. It sorta feels viewer-side, with just that quick flash of the backside of the departed sim that just as quickly disappears, but there's a very similar server-side bug that affects (at least) physical vehicles and cause them to interact with parcel properties on the other side of the just-departed sim.

Haha, I'm so happy to have found fellow sufferers of this fata morgana effect. For me it started when I switched to Singularity viewer so I always blamed the viewer for it. It's really confusing to suddenly see houses, rocks and other prim objects popping up in the middle of the ocean. The other day the effect lastest so long I even opened the worldmap to look if there was something. But as it turned out where I saw a nice house was actually well behind the EOW.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.