still cant run SL on any pc now

kellyjoanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Knowl Paine - what the heck are you on abaout lol. i looked at what you put about the shorcut but that is far too technical and way past my understanding. It may have worked but i have no idea how to do what you say. I have loaded it to a laptop with xp but it cant run it as the laptop drive is too small and crashes so really need help

hi again. i earlier posted to say i had updated to windows 8 from 7 and could not run the SL programme. i have tried to update the graphics card drivers on both pc's and still neither will work.

The laptop that i updated worked fine and now it has 8 on it wont and says the graphics initilization failed, update your graphics card but ti is up to date. I tried running in compatibility mode using 7's settings and still the same.

Exactly the same happens on the desktop but that is still running the exact same copy of windows 7 i had on the laptop but i get the exact same message.

I cant see it can be a grapihcs card issue as both pc's say the same fault. i have tried resetting the modem incase i had an issue there but still the same fault.

I really need some help on this as i cant get on SL on either pc and want to.

Also why cant i make a comment to the replies i get on here?

THanks for any help you can give me 

Kelly

5 answers to this question

You can use the startup parameter  --noprobe  to disable hardware checking at startup.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_parameters

Unplug / reset, your modem or router.

hmm... create an Alt

look at other Windows 8 questions here at the Forum.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=qanda-board%3Asla_technical&q=windows

No reply button, you are right.  You can reply to each responder though by using the permalink option that sits at the bottom of each person's post.  There is also OPTIONS<EDIT top right, if it is that you need to just add more to original post.

I'm sorry I cannot help with the graphics initialization error message, that is not familiar to me. There are other residents to come to reply to this thread. Return often please.

What Knowl means by "add the start parameter --noprobe" is clearly explained in the Wiki link he provided.  Please read it.

Note, this will only turn off the error message, it does not mean that if a real error exists it is fixed.  Windows 8 is notorious for needing the correct, up to date graphics drivers that are specifically for Windows 8.  Go to the web page for your graphics card type (probably AMD/ATI Radeon or Nvidia GeForce).  Follow the directions there fo locate and install the correct drivers for your graphics card and operating system.

Duplicate of http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/cant-run-SL-after-installing-windows-8/qaq-p/1838549

We need specifics to help you further. PC make & Model and tech specs + GC information please!!!!

Please update your original question as follows:

Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question.

or click on the Permalink option for the person who has asked you a specific question.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.