photo with another persons name on it

EmilyGoth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i was recently passed 2 reallife photos of someone that i know to be true of them but on the second photo they gave me it said it was uploaded by another avatar and the secondlife date on it was over a year ago.

the person that gave me the photo couldnt explain this but the only way i can see it is that this person passed it from another account ( alt account original uploader ) to the account it was passed to me from.

Is this the only way that could happen or can it actually be forged by someone else that can also put a secondlife date and time it was uploaded and another accounts name on it?

3 answers to this question

There's never any guarantee that the RL photo on someone's profile page is really a picture of them.  In fact, I don't know very many people that would ever post their own picture.  It's just an invitation to RL stalking, so people post photos of cartoon characters, pets, or random pics from goodness knows where instead.  Unless you know a person in RL, it's probably a good idea to assume that their profile pic is a phony.

• Like 1

Here's a way.

1.  Receive a photo from someone, with modify/transfer/copy permissions.

2.  With the photo open on your screen, go to File/Save As, and save the photo to your computer.

3.  At some future date, upload the photo to SL again.  It is then a new texture, with a different UUID and different date, and you as the texture owner.

If you don't have the permissions, you can still take a screen capture with the file open, and crop out the surroundings in Photoshop.  You'll lose some resolution, but the photo should still appear OK to a casual viewer.

I would worry less about the mechanics of who gave what to whom, and more about your friend passing out RL pictures of herself to anonymous people on the internet.  (We are ALL anonymous people on the internet, here in Second Life.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.