Testing model

Spinell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone.

I'm trying to slowly get back to using blender, so I downloaded some free models to practice some modeling and see if I still remembered a few tricks.

Then I wanted to try and upload the model to SL to see how it looked. It's mesh clothing, so I parented the mesh, did interpolation 2 and saved collada for SL.

However, in the uploader, when I tick the option to upload the weights, the meshs dissapears. Even after I upload it, it rezzes fine on the field, but when I put it on, there's nothing.

I went back to blender and noticed that the model actually came with material information: 26 materials actually. Could this be the reason why it's not showing in SL? (If I remember correctly, you can only have 8 materials, right?)

Thought that it. Just wanted to make sure before I started deleting. Thanks! ;)

So, I deleted all materials and it still isn't showing up.

When I go ito texture mode, the materials applied are still there. I checked the UV map just in case, but there was no image there.

How do I get rid of the textures?

My understanding is that you can get some unpredictable results if there is no UVMap. 

To remove materials, just delete them in the materials section. Then create or keep the material you want. Assign it to the rest of the model.

If you are trying to figure out which avatar model to use see: Second Life Mesh Clothes Blender 2.6 Setup 2012 Tutorial

If your mesh rezzes fine when not rigged but not at all when rigged, I wouldn't look for the solution in the material area.

I think either you did the weighting wrong or more likely you have the thing rigged to a skeleton that's not scaled properly.

Maybe you could post a bit of how you made it, what skeleton you used and how you rigged it.

• Like 1

Ok, after a bit of testing, here's what I've found out:

I selected the mesh and then the SL skelleton and tried two types of parenting: Empty groups and Automatic weights.

Empty group is what I always used which usually gave me no troubles and worked great, but here, the mesh goes invisible when I try to upload the weights.

AUtomatic does the job... just not a good job. The weights, especially the arms, get weird.

Here's a quick snapshot of what I got in blender (mesh with the auto weights):

Untitled.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.