Dell Laptop? Any Good?

Saskia1001

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi, sorry if you guys get a little fed up with the same old questions but i am desperate to return to SL but need to buy a good laptop more than capable of running SL for a few years. The one i hve found is a Dell Inspiron 17SE.

Basically its an i7 3750U CPU, 8GB RAM 5400RPM HDD, AMD Radeon HD8730 2GB - price is about £680GBP but also they have a i7 with a Nvidia GT650M which is £750GBP. I know that SL will run with an i5 CPU but thought i might be better to have a i7 as this may help with cooling?? I know that ideally you guys would recommend a desktop but this is not practical and the little research i have done on desktops it will not work out that much cheaper than £600 ish.

Again, sorry for the repeated kind of technical question. Hope someone could advise - Dell's link is http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=n0037111&model_id=inspiron-17-3721&c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1 Thanks Saskia x

7 answers to this question

The AMD Radeon HD8730 chip is brand new, so there's nothing but the company's own specifications on the Internet.  It looks like a faster chip than previous generations, and it's designed fo gaming, but there's no way to tell how well it will behave with SL until someone tries it.  I am looking for a new laptop myself and am avoiding integrated chips on principle, because they have had a spotty history.  The technology is maturing, though, so who knows what this new wave will look like?  If you wait  while, I'm sure that Peggy or Nyll, our hardware experts, will have something to say.

So difficult to access the website tonight with the issues LL is having but finally made it with Opera.

The AMD Radeon HD 8730M is a brand new Mars video card and there are no reviews that I can find. It's a 2GB card with a 128-bit memory bus but only uses GDDR3 memory which is slower than GDDR5. As well as that it only has a PCI-E 8x slot instead of the more usual 16x. AMD have included Boost Clock, which enables it to rev up its clockspeed within its power and temperature limits. Unfortunately, it's also at the very bottom of the 8700 series (8730/8750/8770/8790). It will be interesting to see how it fares in SL.

The Nvidia GTX 650M is a 1GB card with a 128-bit memory bus and also only uses GDDR3 memory (the desktop version has DDR5). However It's a proven performer in SL with many users.

Until the 8730M proves itself with gaming reviews, especially in SL and with only £70 in the difference I suggest you opt for the higher priced laptop with the Nvidia card but that's just a recommendation, the decision is yours.

Yes, as Rolig said, there were serious issues for many residents last night and I've yet to check this morning. I've never seen Smith and other Linden sims so busy with people trying to sort their avatars out. It was actually worse that the Grid Status page indicated. I couldn't get a full outfit on me even after a character test as library avatars weren't even loading properly. Inventory loading was horrendously slow and would stop before fully loaded. In the end I gave up and logged wearing bits of four outfits and ruthed. Internet Explorer still won't log in to Answers/Forums but I can use Opera.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4125 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.