How does someone make an unauthorized transaction inworld?

Misty Littlething

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Recently LL took $10,000L from my acccount after someone inworld had paid me a gift, apparently they reported it as an unauthorised transaction and therefore the $L were given back, how can people get away with this??  I feel violated and I know it has happened to others too!  What measures are LL taking to stop this fraudulant activity?

5 answers to this question

It's possible (even likely) that you just witnessed what LL does for suspected fraudulant activities.  Those lindens you recieved as a gift could be lindens obtained with a stolen CC (or other means).  The lindens given to you could be suspected money laundrying activities.  LL has an obligation to stop illegal activities where suspicious actions are taking place.  There has to be some threshold that lights up alarms.......$L10,000 as a gift just might be that threshold.

Submit a support ticket inquiring what is going on might get you some answers.

• Like 2

I agree with Peggy.   I think, from what you say, it's quite probable that LL have identified the original transaction whereby your friend acquired the L$ as suspect, rather than that your friend has said anything.   That or the 10K gift has triggered some automatic stop, though that I doubt rather (certainly I quite regularly give and receive amounts considerably larger than that, but since my L$ transactions reflect the fact I run a reasonably successful business, it may be that LL's security programmes take that into account).

One way or the other, raising a support ticket is the way to proceed.

• Like 1

Yes it seems that the person involved has ripped me off, I was just speaking to them on skype where the admitted and thought it was funny to give $10000L to me and then to find out that LL can take it back. As I said I feel violated and yes i have submitted a ticket, I just hope others aren't scammed like this because it will be the decline of SecondLIfe as we know it if people can get away with this fraudulent activity!!

10,000 lindens is roughly $40 USD if it were cashed out........or it's roughly $40 USD if bought legally through authorized exchanges (of which there are very few) or the Linden Exchange. Your joker friend is playing fire if he thinks he can get away with Internet fraud for more than one (possibly two) times..........the FBI gets involved and they have the resources to find all but the very suffisticated of cyber criminals. And your joker friend, by his bragging to you like you say he did, is not suffisticated enough to hide from the authorities. If he stopped at this one time then maybe he got away with it........but stupid braggers seldom do that. It was "fun" the first time, it'll be fun the next time too. Then someone big and mean looking with a shiney badge knocks on his door holding an arrest warrant.....it stops being funny at that instant.

Linden Lab's Risk API has a secret formula for deciding when people are involved in questionable financial activity (gambling, money laundering, fraud).  If they determine that a person is a risk, they will freeze L$ assets and will do their best to reverse recent transactions that may have involved illegal funds.  It sounds like that's what happened to you.  A similar thing would happen if you were handed a bag of money by a friend who had just stolen it from the corner liquor store in RL.  The police would confiscate the cash not because YOU had done anything wrong but because your friend stole the money in the first place.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.