Why does second life degrade my performance?

GLaDOS9000

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I had just logged onto second life and it says my performance has degraded. This has happened multiple times and i have had to relog atleast 10 times to be fully loaded back to normal. It is a pain to keep doing this and i don't know how to stop it.

Its beggining to be a problem and i hate logging onto that problem.

Second Life 3.4.4 (268497) Dec 20 2012 13:04:18 (Second Life Beta Viewer)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50GHz (2500 MHz)
Memory: 4096 MB
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.42

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 40201

Thanks for the answers :D

3 answers to this question

Launch your viewer (but don't log in).  Under the "Help" menu click "About Second Life".  You'll see the basic computer specs listed for you computer.  Copy those and paste back here.  That's about the only way anyone can help you.

Don't start a new thread. Use the "Options" in the upper right corner of your post and "Edit" to add the information and any other comments you want to make.

• Like 1

If you have an ATI video card then you may need to do these steps (SL viewers seem to not play well with ATI cards, none of them).

Furthermore, other types of video cards also require that the first step here be done; VBO is known to cause crashes in multiple different scenarios.

• Disable VBO: Run the viewer and before logging in, press Ctrl-P to bring up the Preferences window. Then:
    • Phoenix: click on Graphics → Hardware Options (this is a button). Make sure that “Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects” is not checked.
    • Firestorm and Linden Lab's V3: click on Graphics → Hardware Settings tab. Make sure that “Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects” is not checked.
  • Disable AI in Catalyst:
    • Right click on your desktop (or right click the ATI logo in the bottom right tray) and select Catalyst Control Center;
    • In catalyst control center go to the advanced options menu;
    • Then click on the 3D tab on the left side. Catalyst A.I. will be amongst the labels there;
    • Tick the box next to 'Disable Catalyst A.I.'
  • Like 2

Second Life 3.4.4 (268497) Dec 20 2012 13:04:18 (Second Life Beta Viewer) Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50GHz (2500 MHz) Memory: 4096 MB OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 Darwin 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun 7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine

OpenGL Version: 2.1 ATI-1.6.42

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0 Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Not Connected Built with GCC version 40201

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you know what a beta release is all about.  Try using an official, final release viewer before you start fiddling with anything such as drivers or computer settings.  Betas are not final releases.  They are release to volunteers to find bugs and problems and those volunteers report the the developers for fixing........before it's released as a final product.  You are testing the product.......expect issues and report them to the LL development team.

Other than that, all I can think of is that you may have your preferences set too high for your graphics adapter to handle.  The Radeon 6570M is not a particularly strong GPU but it will run SL at low to medium settings.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4141 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.