Google Chromebooks and SL

Riff Gaffer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've just bought a shiny new Acer C7 Google Chromebook. It's rather lovely. It has a big hard drive

But it doesn't seem to be able to run SL - even at a basic level. Is there a web based chat there that I can use that's a bit more elegant than the standard SL web page? Some kind of SL chat would be fantastic for when I'm far from home and only my chrome for company!

Any advice is welcome!

14 answers to this question

As you have found the chromebooks are just not powerful enough to run a program that is such demanding as SL is. As far as I am aware of there is no web based chat system other than using my.secondlife.com/yourname

EDIT: and even then I believe you still have to be logged in a viewer to use the chat. You can use the feeds to leave messages though.

I am exploring the world of Chromebooks and dont have one yet but saw your post. There is an app that runs great on my Android phone that supports many basic features of Second Life. No it does not provide a way to see your avatar on the screen but yes you can very much chat and Im and have people tp you and tp others to you and the person on the computer sees you fine. You can even give and receive money and inventory. I was impressed. Its called Mobile Grid Client and is available in the Google Play Store by Schlager. Its well worth the 500 Lindens per month for the advanced version or whatever it is... i just confirmed it in play store and see there is a new app for one-time $3 fee called Lumiya and person says it blows MGC away. ... there ya go. :) Have not tried Lumiya yet. Feel free to friend me to discuss it if you want.

• Like 1

i recomend using a app on the chromebook called ark welder you can also search for lumiya apk 2.6 and then move the viles from it into a folder then you go in more tools in your browser on chromebook and select extensions and enable developer consule  the load the contents you extracted from the apk and you should be able to run sl 

what ark welder does is let you convert android apk files into chrome extensions 

google ark welder tutorials i was able to run a steam messenger apk on my chromebook and skype 4.9 apk on my chrome book

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.