volume sliders don't work

Sca Shilova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi :)

I need to be able to control volume sliders in preferences > sound &media while streaming media on prim out of SL. The only sounds I need to be able to toggle are media and SL voice chat. The other sounds are off.

I'm on windows 7 and tested this on the SL viewer and on firestorm plus someone else tested it for me on adifferent client with the same problem.

I did notice that I can fade all SL sound with the SLplugin.exe in my OS sound mixer, but that doesn't separate the SL voice from the media sound.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix or work around?
Alternatively, is there a viewer in which this slider is known to work?

Thanks,

Sca

I tested with a video.  The slider presented by the prim did not have an effect, as you said.  The video volume control did work, however.  (I had clicked the zoom-in button to ensure max control.)  I would expect an audio player on the web page to work as well.  

I don't know what function the volume control slider has, if any.

TKR  

Hi

I mean the volume sliders in preferences, not on the prim. I have the media on prim UI turned off so that you don't see them in the stream.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clicked the zoom-in button to ensure max control." I don't see any zoom function in there.

If your media volume control in preferences does work then I'd be interested to know whic client you're on and which version.

Greets,

Sca

I have never seen the volume slider in Prefs control the prim media.  I think it does control the land-based media.  The only way I know to control the volume in prim based media is to use the media control on the web page, as you would in your browser.   

As to "clicked the zoom-in button to ensure max control." -- when the media UI is on, a prim with media will show a bar floating above it when you look at it closely.  That bar shows the url and several controls (including the volume control I found ineffective).  There is a magnifying glass with a + sign.  You can click that to zoom in and gain control of the web page as you would wih the web page displayed in your browser.  The volume control on the web page does work to control the volume.  That is the only method I have found to control the volume for  prim-based media.  

Sorry I can't be of more help

TKR

Prim media is not streamed into SL like radio and tv's.  The media control slider is only for traditional streamed media.  Prim media is a sound on the land. To turn the sound down you have to click on the media prim and use the tools that float over it to turn it off for you or lower the volume Your sound volume control should also work but will effect all sounds.  This only effects you btw not anyone else.  If you use prim media be considerate of your neighbors and be sure to restrict sounds to your parcel or anyone around your lot can hear it too.  Very annoying.

I have never seen the volume slider in Prefs control the prim media. 

If you want to see it work, point MOAP to a bare mpeg file instead of an embedded Flash video. For example, http://archive.org/download/test-mpeg/test-mpeg.mpg seems to respond fine to the viewer's Media volume slider.

It's a little discouraging that MOAP doesn't appear ready for Flash replacements like WebM. Try loading YouTube's HTML5 opt-in page into MOAP, to see what I mean. (At least it doesn't look encouraging on my machine; YMMV I suppose.) Modern Webkit-based browsers handle it just fine of course, so... not sure if it's just that MOAP isn't getting any attention anymore or if there's some real technical barrier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.