Constant crashes to desktop?

Zahara Braveheart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I've done some research on this but have not found a current or thoroughly explained answer, so here goes -

When rotating the camera or holding down the alt key, my client will just crash to desktop. This has happened four times in the last 5 minutes and is getting quite annoying.

I have a very nice computer as well as a very nice graphics card (GeForce GTX 670). Someone who also has the same graphics card as me is not having this issue so I'm under the assumption it isn't related and is moreso a client issue. I have uninstalled and re-installed SL to no avail.

Any and all suggestions, help or feedback would be appreciated as I'd love to be able to return to SL.

Thank you in advance.

Go to "Help - About Second Lilfe", hit the "Copy to Clipboard" button and then paste that info into a post in this thread. It sounds like an out-of-memory crash. How much system memory do you have and what other applications are you running? Using the camera tends to cause memory use to explode if you do it in a crowded region. especially with your video settings turned up high. If you've got plenty of system memory available either try using either a recent third party viewer or the latest LL beta because they have the ability to access more memory than the LL release viewer.

Second Life 3.4.1 (266581) Nov 5 2012 12:17:12 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

You are at 204,486.0, 309,858.0, 22.3 in Infinity Club located at sim6262.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.10.76:13004)
Second Life Server 12.10.26.266333
Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3393.22 MHz)
Memory: 16368 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 670/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0013.0142
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 3.2.0002.10426

Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/2,443 (0.0%)

Is the information you asked for. I will try using a third party viewer.

It shouldn't be your hardware (unless one of the components is broken) since I have virtually the same system you have, same card, 16GB of RAM and a 3770K (not overclocked) instead of your 3770. Never had issues like you describe.

I highly doubt it's your memory aswell, since SL can't use more than 2 GB out of your 16.

Are all your drivers up to date? I have Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.0697, I'm not sure if that's the latest.

Are you monitoring your temperatures? It's a long shot, but the GPU could get too hot. I'd expect the entire computer to stall or crash then, not just SL.

Did you open the Secondlife log file to see if it contains any clues? You can find it in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs

I agree with Kwakkelde... check your tempertures.

Get GPU-Z and/or SpeedFans, both are free and will get you temp data. 

The latest stable nVidia driver is 306.97. There is a Beta 310.33 that is out too. The 301... is a bit old.

Check if this only happens in one region or if it happens in all regions. There are mesh objects that can cause a video drver to crash.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4201 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.