Can you have two groups tied to the land.. one for tenate one land management......

LadyPetunias Audion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My partner and I have  region.. and we had it set to one group for when we open it up to a few tenants .. ..but woudl ike another group to manage. the items  on the land that we do not want any one else to move around but be able to move eath others items...( the thing in the friends list really does nto work all that well)...and I am estate manager,,, this does not give me access to his items either....... we need to be able to access eachthers items.....

And setting things to a group , that woudl restrict those not in the group from using the menus on chairs etc...?

..Is this possible and what is the best way...so confused..

4 answers to this question

LadyPetunias Audion wrote:

Can you have two groups tied to the land.. one for tenate one land management......

No.

My partner and I have  region.. and we had it set to one group for when we open it up to a few tenants .. ..but woudl ike another group to manage. the items  on the land that we do not want any one else to move around but be able to move eath others items...

Simply setting items to a group itself doesn't allow group members to move those items. You would have to Share those items with the group to allow that, and I believe you would have to deed the land to that group first (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). See http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Object-permissions/ta-p/700129 and http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Group-owned-land/ta-p/700079).

...( the thing in the friends list really does nto work all that well)...and I am estate manager,,, this does not give me access to his items either....... we need to be able to access eachthers items.....

Are you saying that allowing him to Edit, delete or take [your] objects through your friends list somehow doesn't work?

And setting things to a group , that woudl restrict those not in the group from using the menus on chairs etc...?

It shouldn't, no.

• Like 1

The topic of permissions is very broad, so you can approach it from several directions. As a landowner, you may want to restrict building and terraforming rights to a small group of people, for example, so you deed your land to a group and then invite your trusted friends to join the group.  But you don't trust your friends equally.  You want only a very small number to be allowed to terraform, so you create a specific role within that group for people who are allowed to terraform.

So far, you have three kinds of people: Ones who can build and terraform, ones who can only build, and many people who can do neither one. Now, suppose you are allowed to build, and you want everyone in your group to be able to move and edit what you build.  That's easy. On the General page in your Edit/Build tool (CTRL + 3), there's a wrench icon that you use to "Set" the object to your group.  Click that while you have selected your new object and choose your group.  That's not the same as deeding it to the group (a different button), which would give the object to the group so you are no longer its owner.  Setting the object to the group just gives other group members the right to move and edit it.

If you don't want other group members to mess with your stuff, don't set it to the group.  But what if you want some group members to be able to?  No problem.  You add them to your Friends list and you check the icon next to their name that gives them the right to do that.

As you know, there are also ways to give or sell objects to other people without giving them rights to copy, modify, or give them to anyone else. Add those rules to the ones I just described, and the whole topic can get very complicated.  Read more here

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Object-permissions/ta-p/700129

and here http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113

and here http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Group-owned-land/ta-p/700079

ETA: I forgot to address your question about menus on chairs.  Don't worry about those. Access to those menus is controlled entirely within the scripts in the chairs.  Unless the scripter has explicitly restricted access (owner only?  group only? Bob Smith only?), anyone can use them, regardless of what permissions are set on the chairs.  The only way a landowner could keep them from working would be to turn off script access in the parcel or sim.

• Like 2

Yes, you can. It's easier to show you than explain it but here goes.

If you own the entier region, make it one big parcel and set the parcel ownership to the land management group.

Then create parcels for the rentals you want and change their ownership to the tenants group.

Make sure you and your land managers have appropriate access in both groups.

Don't give your tenants much (or any) access in the land management group. They shouldn't even need to be in this group anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.