could computer security affect avatar movements?

iliana Luminos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i have been having this issue for a few days now.. everything rezzes just fine but when i start to walk, my avi runs. and when i turn, she moves slow motion. its constant, its not like i go back to normal then it happens again.. i have been told it was lag but it happens everywhere i teleport. i even tried unistalling sl, then reinstalling, and when i logged, i moved normally for maybe 20 seconds then went back to the issues. anyone have any idea what this could be and could security play a part? im very annoyed and would appreciate anyones help

3 answers to this question

It is unlikely that security measures would effect system performance as you have described.

You may be inadvertently enabling the "Always Run" feature.

If I double tap the space bar, my Avatar will run. (I think it's the space bar, I don't run often)

I think those settings are in Preferences, maybe another Resident here understands more than I.

A link to review / refresh

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Basic-movement-controls/ta-p/700033#Section_.2.5

Well, yes, in an odd way.  There is at least one system -- Norton Utilities -- that insists on evaluating every single texture that is downloaded to your computer to see if it is a threat.  Because you are always seeing loads of new textures, especially when you move or change your field of view, that can slow down your computer immensely unless you make an exception for your SL viewer.  See http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/antivirus_whitelisting for instructions on how to make an exception in your anti-virus software.

• Like 2

Knowle's answer to the problem, being in RUN Mode, would have been solved by relogging and certainly be re-installing the viewer.

You don't give us much to go on. When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

How do you move your avatar? I press W and steer with my mouse. But, you might have a SpaceNavigator...

Are you on a Mac and which viewer are you using? Since this is your second post I am assuming you are using a default Linden Lab viewer. If that is the case look at the movement controls section of the Knowledge Base. Ctrl-R turns on and off run mode.

The behavior sounds more like a connection problem. But, the problem could be caused by your AV or firewall. To test whether it is you or SL read Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. For a quick check, open the Viewer Statistics (Ctrl-Shift-1). Look at PING and Lost Packets to see if you are having a connection problem. Ping over 250ms is going to create some control lag. Lost Packets up to 3% is livable, but over that it starts to create inconsistent problems.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.