So I joined this yesterday

oTim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...I bought two games from GameStop prior to joining then I found this to play with still plenty of money on my Visa Card and then when I entered my credit card info I get: ''Sorry, your payment failed"  What payment? There is no money being deducted from my credit card so what are they trying to get me buy!? I've tried like 30 times already. I just want to buy clothing and rent a place and get on with it. I use my card on everything with no problems until now. So far all I've run into are stumbling blocks with this thing. It took me seven tries just to get into the forum.  Is this a common technicality going around with this thing? Any work arounds? My first life is easy compared to this.  lol

Howdy, Tim!  And welcome to SL!  

The Visa you are using...is it a pre-paid visa card?  Linden Lab doesn't like most of those, so if it IS a pre-paid card that might be the problem.  The Wal-Mart Money Card (which is a Visa DOES work).  When you first key in your payment info, the Lab tries to send through a $2.00 charge to be sure the card is valid.  The charge is never completed so in a few days the $2.00 falls off your statement.  So, if the card you're using is a pre-paid that the Lab doesn't accept, the charge will fail.  

Also, did you sign up to be a Premium Member?  That has a charge as well and that charge WILL try to go through.  

I don't know why it took you so many tries just to get signed up for the forums.  Did you get some sort of error message?

I don't know a thing about Game Stop, or how it might have led you here.

That you have "plenty of money on my Visa Card", seems to imply that the card in question is a prepaid Visa card, and SL payment systems just do not work with prepaid or gift cards.  Which I for one find very annoying, but thats how it is.

You are probably right about the request timing out.  One thing to know -- you don't need money to enjoy Second Life.  Lots of free stuff and free events.  Maybe you are coming in via Steam and that causes a request for money.  Try this link:

http://secondlife.com/whatis/

Here is an article that tells about free stuff and how to find it:

Newcomer help 2012

TKR

You can always call the billing department and find out the specific causes of the problems you are having:

Billing support phone numbers:
Toll-Free (US/Canada)
Long-Distance

Billing team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Local Toll-Free numbers

France: 0805.101.490
Germany: 0800.664.5510
Japan: 0066.33.132.830
Portugal: 800.814.450
Spain: 800.300.560
UK: 0800.048.4646
Support is in English Only

Also you can find free items in world, provided by creators of their own good will. Or, yes, sometimes as an enticement to visit/loss leader/promotion. :)

Amethyst's advice should straighten out the main problem, freebies will tide you over; and it isn't necessary to have a home to enjoy SL, there is plenty of time still for that. Meanwhile you can explore or maybe scope out where you will later rent once you can.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.