Limits of Homesteads?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've seen on some reports that homesteads have a capacity of 20 people, other times I have read it's 40 people. I have quite a busy place, the traffic can sometimes be 10 -15k a day... we rarely reach 40 avatars all at one time on the plot, though. Is it just not feasible for me to rent a homestead - sims are so expensive and we probably don't need all that space!

Homesteads have never supported 40 people. 20 is the official maximum, though I've been able to host prrivate parties with up to 25 without crashing (in very rare occasions). You might be able to get up to 30 assuming everybody's stays without moving and do not wear any script, in other words, 30 completely naked and bald people. :D

Homestead

Homestead regions were introduced in January 2009 and are only available for Residents who own at least one full region. It can hold 20 avatars, 3750 prims and the amount of running scripts might be restricted in the future.

valerie Inshan wrote:

Homesteads have never supported 40 people. 20 is the official maximum, though I've been able to host prrivate parties with up to 25 without crashing (in very rare occasions).

That's interesting. With other sim types, the maximum number of avatars is programmatically controlled. I.e. if a mainland sim already has 40 avatars in it, and you try to TP there, you get the message that the sim is full and the TP attempt fails. I assume that attempts to go to a private sim are exactly the same but the max varies according the owner's setting.

So you are saying that LL didn't put that control into Homestead sims? I can't really believe that they didn't, because at least twice as many Homestead sims are hosted by a single computer (4 sims per core, I think, or maybe more) and, if a few started to accept more than the 20 maximum, all the other Homesteads in the same computer would really suffer.

Frankly Phil, I have no idea how this could technically happen (twice in 2 years living in the same homestead to be precise). I can only testify of what I actually saw. Last time this happened was in early December. I've been hosting breakfast parties once a month since last year and we are indeed a maximum of 18 to 20 people. In other words... I don't have a clue! :smileyhappy:

it can happen if people tp out and others come in before the server notifies clients that they're gone. During a short interval your client may then see more than 20 people on the homestead.

Any other attempt to enter a region that's at capacity will result in a failure (though technically it might be possible, maybe, for 2 tp requests to be handled at exactly the same time while there are 19 people in the region, and both being allowed, that would however need to be split second synchrisation).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3608 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.