i have a Mac and when i open SL i get an error message that says 'an't make GL context'. help.

RyeRyan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

OpenGL is the code environment that controls all of the graphics in Second Life, and the OpenGL context can be thought of as a "container" in which it sits.  That about exhausts my technical knowledge of OpenGL.  Because this is an integral part of your viewer, I suspect that the message is telling you that your SL viewer has been damaged somehow and needs to be replaced.  You'll have to do more than simply delete the program itself from your computer, because there are several user settings files that also need to be removed.  The way to do that is a clean re-install.  Here's how >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall .  Look for the Mac instructions, about halfway down the page.  Note that these are written for people who use the Firestorm viewer, but the instructions will work for any viewer, with some small obvious changes.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Otherwise, on Windows click Start and type DXDIAG, case doesn’t matter. That will open the dxdiag in the panel. It will give you your system specs. We need to now video driver version, OpenGL version, …

I'm not sure of what the equivalent is on a Mac...

You haven't given us much to go on. Has this this always happened when running SL?

Is your video driver up to date?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.