Direct Delivery?

Lillani Lowell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've been awhile from Second Life for awhile and now there's a direct delivery thing I need to set up.

So, I'm in the process of setting this up, or at least trying, and it constantly fails due to initialization problems. And yet, there's this blog saying the Magic Box will be deactivated and dead, when we can't even migrate our items using the Merchant Outbox due to problems?

I've been reading the posts, and it seems people have been having serious problems with this since it was introduced, and they're STILL planning on deadlining the switch over from Magic Box to Direct Delivery??

So, you're going from a system that works..... to a system that doesn't work? Good going!

What gives?

Lillani, the Merchant Outbox initialization is particularly grumpy about its operation. Follow these steps to try and make it work. They don't always work, but they do seem to work in many cases.

1. Log out of Marketplace, secondlife.com and any other secondlife website you are currently logged into. That means to actually click the "Log Out" buttons or links; don't just close the browser window. Once you've logged out everywhere (and even if that means logging into some just so you CAN log out) then close all your web browsers and windows. If you have an email program that uses a web browser plugin (like MS Outlook or Outlook Express) close that too.

2. Log out of your SL Viewer (the official one or any of the TPVs). Make sure you do not have any SL Viewers open anywhere.

3. Take a few minute break. Wander away from the computer, go smoke a cig .. do some dishes or engage the kids in a rousing conversation about WoW and Minecraft. *grin*

4. Open a single browser window at the Marketplace and log into your account. Go to the Merchant's Dashboard (the Merchant Homepage) and let it fully load. It might help to just delay here for a while too .. letting things "drip" through the vast Second Life computer systems. (NOTE: If your browser automatically logs you in when you open the Marketplace then that means you didn't successfully log out in step 1. Go back to step 1 and start again.)

5. Open a single SL Viewer and log into the same account as you used to log into your Marketplace account.

6. Open the Merchant Outbox and let it initialize. IF it fails to initialize the first time, TP to a new Region, TP back and then open it again and let it initialize.

As I say, these steps do not always work, but they do offer the best chance that I'm aware of to give the Merchant Outbox all the information it needs to properly initialize. It's also a good time to practice patience. Delaying a few moments (or minutes) after each step cannot hurt and may in fact help.

Best of luck and please let us know if this succeeded.

• 2 months later...

Just a general thought about boxing items ~ early in my SL merchant life, I realized that a box can be an important part of the item. I began boxing many of my items in complimentary boxes. For instance, my Tudor house came boxed in a matching birdhouse the owner could place as a garden decoration. My fireplaces come boxed in stacks of firewood.Some of my items come boxed in decorative gift boxes the owner can use to give gifts to others.

Surely there was a more sensible solution to a non-existant issue like rezzing a box than restructuring Marketplace and forcing a kazillion merchants to revamp their some 2 million plus products. Maybe the ability to open a box directly from inventory? That solution would also solve the associated non-issues of people giving multiple items to each other in boxes or inworld vendors which deliver boxes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.