llRotLookAt

Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been reading and changing the Wiki's description of this function.

Right now I am having a problem sorting out when the function actually causes an object to continue watching an object... I can't see that it does... or even could. Use of StopLookAt seems to be a pointless reference in the description.

Am I missing something?

I haven't tried this, but I imagine that if you had set the damping time in llRotLookAt to a rather long period, you might want to have the option of stopping it before the object rotated all the way.  This is totally off the top of my head, but maybe something like this ...

touch_start(integer num){    llSetTimerEvent(0.1);    llRotLookAt(llRotBetween(<1.0,0.0,0.0>, llVecNorm(newpos - llGetPos(), 1.0, 30.0);}timer(){    if (llGetTimeOfDay() > 3600.0)    {        llStopLookAt();    }}

It's a hokey example.  I can't think of why I would want to do that, but I suspect that it would work.

Getting things to rotate once is not a problem.

If the function is to keep the rotated object looking in the set direction, then it makes sense. I'll experiement with manually moving things and see if they come back.

EDIT:---------

Making something physical and then moving it around, the function keeps it facing the direction supplied. I was not able to rotate the object without editing it. The object would come back to the LookAt direction once I left Edit mode. Turning off llRotLookAt with a SoptLookAt I could rotate the object by kicking it. Otherwise kicking it just slides the object and never lets it rotate.

Thanks for the tip.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.