Private island Sim crossings have become bad again since most recent update to Main server

dd Temin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For 6 years I am Estate manager of 2 adjacent  private island sims using  Agni  main server on both.  Meriland and Meridas. Sim crossing have been very good on these 2 SIMs  for  flying vehicles  and  walking Avatars for the last  year.

On wednesday  night EST ,1 July......Sim crossing in both directions  for both Walking Avatars and flying vehicles  went totally  crazy  causing Avatars  to either crash or  after 60 sec  to  land on other side of the  Sim  we were entering.  and When using  flying vehicle..caused the vehicles to return to inventory  as having gone off world.

We had  3 other residents  besides myself  doing the test...All experienced the same issue  with sim crossing of Avatar walking.   all 4 of us are logged  in  from different  countries of the world . US,UK,Italy,NZ.   Relogs  did not help.

I restarted both sims..........this did not help.

I logged in again on 2 August  (5 hours later)......... Avatars walking could now make sim crossings  much closer to normal now. However......when making the first sim crossing  into and un-occupied SIM.....there was now a considerable lag compared to what we have experienced  the last  year. When the Avatar   returned to the Sim  it seemed "normal "  type of jerk  for a sim crossing in sl.

So..i am wondering if this new "Idling"  of unoccupied  Sims  (even when sims are adjacent)  is  creating  this  extra lag now?

For Flying Vehicles  (higher speed than walking...but not excessive),  this effect is  much worse ! The Airplane entering an un-occupied adjacent sim   ended up on the far sid of the next sim   before it regained avatar control.

So i suspect something has gone wrong  with this most recent server update. Either that or we have "migrated" to server hardware that has poor performance.

I write This post...to see if any other resident have noticed  these effect since last server up date  especially  flyers or  resident who often use vehicles.

regards dd

The new region idling shouldn't have any effect on the lag at all; except perhaps to reduce it overall, as there is less work for the servers to do.  As a vehicle approaches the sim border and 'looks in' to the next one, the server responds and the sim crossing should be no worse than before.

There was unscheduled maintenance last night, so you may find if you run the same tests again that region crossings may be different again. 

Yesterday I found teleports were ok, one failed, and I had one forced logout (I think I must have been teleporting into a region that was down in that moment). Today, I am noticing teleports are much faster; now this may simply because there is less traffic on my broadband, although it's a weekend and the kids are off school, so SL (the internet generally) is slower for me under those circumstances.

Keep taking a note of what happens after the deploys each Tuesday, and keep an eye on Oskar Linden's threads here on the forums. See if you can input some information there too, or pick up anything that will help you with the private island sim crossings.

Hi  Marigold,

I just wanted to point out that in your first paragraph...your are explaining how is "should work.."..........not necessarily how it is working.  I do undersatnd how we were told it would work..  I was only questioning if it's still working as advertised.

dd

Aye, I know. And you were also talking about sim crossings rather than teleporting.  I actually considered removing my post, because there is also the factor that you're speaking of private sims, and I mainly hang around the mainland.

Only thing to do is get as many people as possible to fly/drive/sail and compare notes. Then bombard Oskar & Co on Monday or via the JIRAs.  :matte-motes-evil:

/me goes to get my leathers on and retrieve that motorbike. Or maybe it's rubber duck on the Blake Seas time once again.

I am happy to report that Sim crossings  for   my 2 agni type Sims are back to being good/normal   today.  So perhaps the unscheduled maintence did  fix this issue.  or    something else......:)

All is well again :)

good flying,boating,racing to all

dd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.