Mediacom and Second Life (Anyone else have problems?)

TimberHoffit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We switched to Mediacom recently and ever since then Second Life has been acting wonky. Things don't rez properly. I lose voice whenever I move to another sim, teleports take a while. Everything is just.. slower. Everything except logging in. Logging in is very fast, as usual, and all of my other games work fine. What could I do to try and fix this? I've tried resetting the router, I called our ISP, and a bunch of other stuff.

TimberHoffit wrote:

Is there a way I could add Second Life to my ports? Also, how can I find out if my router has a firewall?

Some one can correct me if I am wrong but I am not aware of any Modem/Router that does not have a built in firewall.

But it would help if you gave us more information.

Did you run a ping test.  http://www.pingtest.net/  Choose Dallas and San Francisco and post the results.

Did you do a speed test?

Did you change how you connect to your Modem? Are you using wireless or are you hardwired. If you are using wireless, did you try hard wiring?

Eliminating the obvious first goes a long way toward solving a problem.

TimberHoffit wrote:

I'm connected through Ethernet. I was going to try with wireless but no connections show up for my computer. I also went to the site you directed and my line quality to San Francisco is an F..

Dallas was also an F..!

Someone else may have another idea but I think I'd be having a very serious talk with Mediacom.

I wouldn't mention SL to them specifically, just that your having troubles and your test results suck.

If the person you talk to doesn't understand what you are talking about when you say that you are getting a 90% packet loss, ask to talk to a supervisor.

ETA, if your router is supposed to have wireless also and you are not showing any wireless connections available, it could be a bad router.  I'd ask their tech support about that also.  Still, regardless, Ethernet will always be preferable to wireless for SL.  I'm not saying you can't run SL over wireless, just what is preferable.

Second Edit:  Here are my test results.  Note the zero packet loss.  I usually get an "A" overall but sometimes it falls to a "B." 

http://www.pingtest.net/result/67172855.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/67172759.png

A guy from Mediacom came out, checked the speed on HIS little computer, and found out that it's just my computer that has the crummy download speeds, which is why only Second Life is acting up. Other games I play don't really rely on those factors. I've tried everything, though, to see what could be wrong with my computer but I find nothing, and nothing I do resolves the problem. My computer is working fine, it's JUST Second Life!

TimberHoffit wrote:

A guy from Mediacom came out, checked the speed on HIS little computer, and found out that it's just my computer that has the crummy download speeds, which is why only Second Life is acting up. Other games I play don't really rely on those factors. I've tried everything, though, to see what could be wrong with my computer but I find nothing, and nothing I do resolves the problem. My computer is working fine, it's JUST Second Life!

You do realize that you just contradicted yourself?

"My computer has the crummy download speeds."

"My computer is working fine."

I had you check Dallas and Frisco because that is where the SL servers are located.  But that Ping was not to the SL servers.  Hopefully someone with more expertise comes along and can help you diagnose / fix your problem, but a 90% packet loss is just plain nuts.

Two things.  Did the Tech from Media Com help you get your wireless connection working?  And the only other suggestion I can think of at the moment is to check in your hardware profile that your Ethernet connection / the drivers are functioning correctly.

TimberHoffit wrote:

It sounds to me like Mediacom is crummy, if you could run Second Life before without such problems. 

Second Life is not a game, in the same sense of the word as the other games you play online, it is far heavier on resources, and one resource you really need to have a half-decent session in SL is a decent connection.

I've had the runaround with Virgin here in the UK, and, rather amazingly, since I complained and they assured me it was because I had not sufficient RAM on my computer (!), my internet connection has been smoother, and Second Life has run adequately well. Odd that!

Edited to add: if you're accessing Second Life wirelessly, just don't. That's just asking for extra problems.

Well, not really. My computer IS working fine, it's just the connection that has been acting weird (for SL). Although, I don't download things often, but when I do I never have any problems. I don't have problems uploading things, like say to Youtube, either. Second Life is the ONLY thing being affected, I can assure you, which is what is boggling my mind.

TimberHoffit wrote:

Well, not really. My computer IS working fine, it's just the connection that has been acting weird (for SL). Although, I don't download things often, but when I do I never have any problems. I don't have problems uploading things, like say to Youtube, either. Second Life is the ONLY thing being affected, I can assure you, which is what is boggling my mind.

I wish I knew something else to help you.  The one thing I know is that a 90% packet loss is nuts.  At 1% SL will get jittery and at 3% out right jerky.  For reference, at 5%, VOIP would begin to become unusable.

I did see one thing though I might suggest trying as far as your SL settings go.  Check in Preferences,  graphics tab, under rendering, if load textures at full resolution has some how been enabled.  This will add a huge load to the amount of information being downloaded to you.

I do hope you are able to get your problem solved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.