I am trying to get better frame rate my husband and I get the same frame rate and he has a better pc

Foxie Okelly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My PC :

P8Z68-V GEN3 Asus Broard 

8 GIGS 1600 Speed Ram

I5 Intel 2500k Processor OC

Nivida GForce 550Ti Graphics Card

Windows 7

Old Hard Drive

His PC

P8Z68-V PRO GEN3 Asus Broard 

8 GIGS 1600 Speed Ram

I7 Intel 2600K Processor Not Overclocked

Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC

Intel 120g SSD 

Anyone can tell me why we have the same frame rate????  How can I improve it??

3 answers to this question

What average frame rates are you both getting and at what settings? 

Your i5 2500K OC is likely equal to his i7 2600K for general gaming so not much difference there.

The Radeon HD 7950 is a much better gaming card than the Nvidia GTX 550 Ti so yes he should be getting improved performance to your setup but SL often works in mysterious ways. Personally, I feel SL likes overclocked quad cores as I have an older overclocked i5 CPU and I get very good FPS both wth and without shadows even though I only have a 2-year old Radeon HD 5850. Has he considered overclocking his i7 2600K as I wonder what performance he would get if he did so?

Is he using his SSD for both application and cache? From previous threads which you can find by typing 'second life + ssd' in Google, it seems that having the cache there is not recommended due to constant rewriting of data and degradation of ssd's.

You can add comments to your post using Options > Edit to the right of it.

• Like 1

I disagree with Lindal that the connection is the bottleneck. Once an area has rezzed and your download rate drops the connection has little affect on FPS. You can watch the process in Viewer Stats (Ctrl-Shift-1). How the two systems share your internet connection may have an affect on rez speed, but not much more.

Look through Graphics Tweaking for Second Life. You may find some information that will help you improve your viewers' performance.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

This let's us see your driver versions and other details of your system. 

Don't be surprised that similar systems have different performance stats. The SL viewers are affected by numerious things in Windows. Even minor settings changes can affect performance. Having one viewer with 128m draw distance verse 192m draw distance can make a difference. 

When trying to compare viewers Inara and I often fly up to 2,000m to see what the FPS will peak at. That gives a good test that is mostly independent of the stuff around you. Even the direction an avatar is facing can have a significant affect on FPS. At high altitude direction is less of an issue.

You can use three free programs to check your systems to see what they are doing; CPU-Z, GPU-Z, and System Explorer. GPU-Z will show the graphics load placed on the video card GPU. System Explorer will show you what each CPU core is doing and whether your system is paging data to the hard disk, page faults. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4383 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.