My Second Life is acting kind of slow. How do I fix this?

YoSuckMeSlowly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I get on Second Life the virtual world looks kind of slow. It's so annoying. I have read the "system requirements" but I don't know anything about that stuff lol. Is there any way I can fix it?

My internet connection is excellent. I have a cable connection or whatever lol

4 answers to this question

Hard to say without knowing anything about your computer specs and Internet connection. You can give information using "options" > "edit" to add text at the upper right corner of your post, or/and by pressing "Permalink" under a reply.

PS: Interesting name, btw. :P

• Like 1

You have discovered lag, perhaps the most commonly discussed topic in SL.  As Val says, it's impossible to know what's causing your lag --- there are so many possible causes -- but here's a starter list to work on >>> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_very_laggy .  Oh, and here's another one >>> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lag .  And another (I could keep at this all morning :smileytongue: ) >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923 .

BTW, a wireless connection is NOT an excellent way to connect to SL.  In fact, it's one of the leading causes for poor performance.  Wireless was never built to handle the heavy back-and-forth continuous data traffic that SL depends on, and it is vulnerable to all sorts of interference.  Switch to a cable connection if you can.

• Like 1

Let's quantify "kind of slow".  While you are logged in, and when things have fully rezzed around you, hit CTRL+SHIFT+1.  This will open a performance statistics window.  There will be a bar showing "frames per second", and a little moving meter.  It will wiggle about, but you'll be able to see what your average fps is.  Note that, and edit your post here to tell us what you find.  Also, see if the statistics show anything for "dropped packets".

While you are collecting information, look at Help/About Second Life when you are logged in (or at the login screen).  Copy the system information it shows you and paste it into your post.  That will tell us about "all that stuff" you say you don't know anything about.

Without any technical information about your computer we can't help. But even if your computer meets the system requirements, this does not mean that second life or any other 3D program will run smoothly on a high setting. Also I read you use wireless? Its not a good way to connect to SL, its known for causing problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4331 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.