Lost Target - Recovery Routine Behavior

Simon Sugita

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am scripting a flying droid for several years now (soon 2 be released as a buyable object on SLX!), and I am trying to improve it's 'Recovery Routine Behavior' this is a lil code that I made so it will refind the target that it was following before it lost track of it.

I will list the schematics here so you all can re-use these in your own projects but I do this also so you can comment and give feedback because even I miss things sometimes, and multiple eyes see more then 2,. So when U see any non logical steps and/or you miss something please let me know, or/and ask ahead and I'll try to explain why I did that and if your way is better I'm glad to use that, TY already!

First off I will list all the possibilities that will fire a no_sensor when we were following a target with the sensor event:

• The sensors did not pick the target up due to an problem with them (error/bug/glitch, hit max limit, out of range, ..)
  • The target disappeared of the S.L. grid (re-log, crash, was deleted, went off-world, ..)
  • The target crossed a sim border and is in adjacent sim.
  • The target TPed to another location.
  • The target went into a no object entry parcel
  • The target went into a no script parcel
  • ?Dunno which but I bet there also could be another reason caused the sensor to loose its target?

These are all I could think off, after you all gave your ideas about this I will post part 2 were I will discuss the ways to solve these diffrent 'I lost my target' aka no_sensor triggered events.

I suppose it depends on how well your droid is following.  All you have to do to lose some followers is duck around a wall or a billboard.  The follower is on the other side of the wall, trying to go through it while you walk away, smiling.

As an aside, many of the applications that you can script with a sensor/no-sensor event pair can be done just as easily with llGetObjectDetails(UUID,[OBJECT_POS]) or, now, with llGetAgentList, without lagging the sim.  That also helps you get around some of the no-sensor problems you listed.

( As a second aside, SLX hasn't existed for years.  It became XStreetSL and then, over a year ago, Marketplace. :smileywink:  )

• The target went into a no object entry parcel
  • The target went into a no script parcel

will not cause a no-sensor event in a script hosted in an object other than the target (regardless if the target is an avatar on an object.

•            The target crossed a sim border and is in adjacent sim.

may or may not cause no_sensor event depending how deep the target went into an adjacent sim.

I'd concur with Rolig... don't use sensor. Use llGetAgentList with the appropriate flags (probably AGENT_LIST_PARCEL_OWNER or AGENT_LIST_PARCEL) then you really don't have to worry about many of your recovery options. If tracking, you can use that call to just check if the agent is still on the land or parcel you want to check.

IMO, there's a trickier problem you may have to worry about: Irregularly shaped parcels (or disconnected parcels on the same sim) with banlines in-between. You can get around that by teleporting the drone of course, but if you want to _move_ the drone you'd have to keep an eye out for that situation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4395 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.