Uninstalled Second Life Viewer, and it deleted ALL of my steam games.

Ivan Furyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I kid you not. I was uninstalling the Second Life viewer, and it seemed to be taking quite a while, so I went and watched some TV. When I got back around 10 minutes later, I noticed the unintall window was saying it was deleting my Steam Folder. I was freaking out, and there is no cancel button!!! I had to open task manager, and kill the process to stop it. What the hell LL? Why would you put out an uninstaller that would uninstall everything? Does it detect I have a better viewer installed and get jealous? Now I have to spend my day re-downloading all of my steam games, along with all the data I have lost because of this bulls***.

I've literally done several dozen clean installs and have never had this happen.

By a stretch of the imagination did the "remove shared files" wizard pop up?

http://it.ccri.edu/helpdesk/images/remove_file.gif

Were you using add/remove programs and by some quirk you selected both or were you using the 'uninstall SL" command in the SL Start Menu Folder?

other than that I'm clueless here.

Not only do I find your reply retarded, but I also find it insulting. Let's NOT make this a "OMG MY OS IZ BETTUR TAN URZ" thread. It did not open a shared files removal thingy, but it did ask something about removing other things.

An uninstaller is not too clever.
If you installed steam under the SL folder or SL into the programs folder instead of it's own subfolder - at the end it asks if it should remove the rest and so it did.

If thats the case or not I dont know and you don't know either because you can't look now since it's deleted. But consider that you are the only one where that happened, so something in your installation must have been special.

Without of knowing more details that case will remain unresolved.

Of course there is the usual fanboy or anti-fanboy spam in the thread. Since it's completely of no use it's definitely spam. :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

All of the responses here seemed quite on topic. I hardly think any qualify as SPAM.

Actually, I think the response Nova was referring to would qualify more as an ad hominem (SP?) attack.

Maybe only a minor one, but still an attack.

I am however guessing what it was Nova was referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Again I ask this simple question. If you are using windows when was the last time you bothered to run either a defrag or a check disk SL has always crosslinked files giving you this type of problem  registry mechanic will kill most of the hash that SL dumps in your registry and a quick check disk will unlink the files and thus remove the problem. This has always been the normal proceedure before running any un install program being the native windows version or the included SL un installer.

Perhaps this is not common knowledge with todays users but it still remains a fact of life Linux and Unix and mac use a totally different file management system but windoz has not changed in a generation except for the format style of NFTS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.