Can users' IPs be obtained on a SIM?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was at a very populous SIM today, and shortly afterwards my network connection suffered a prolonged DDOS attack (mainly from various Chinese IPs, also a few from Australia). Maybe this is just a coincidence, but is there any way nowadays for some malicious user to obtain visitors' IP numbers? (Other than listening to streaming media on the land, which I don't have turned on.)

All media, (moap and parcel streams) can retrieve the IP. But thats only the IP so that alone is worthless. They need to identify the avatar too.

If you're the only avatar on a parcel that's easy. If your media starts to play at the moment you enter a parcel then they can compare time of avatar that teleported in and time the media call and link that. I can imagine some problems on a busy sim though.

Same goes for any weblink. If you click it the webserver knows your IP, just doesnt know the avatar.

A voice IM establishes a direct connect between the 2 ends and a manipulated client can reveal the IP even if the call is not taken - so I've read.

What to do? I have media off. Means it will only start playing if i click on the play button or the moap-prim. My parcel media has a whitelist so I can play favourate radio stations automatic. (Viewer feature) But I prefer an external player anyways. I hate when music switches when moving over parcels. :)
Voice you need to switch off completely.

He he, I also use an external player for my music. Using the viewer to play music (or possibly only doing this and "dancing") is like taking a car to visit your next-door neighbor across the street. ;)

I guess that I can then rule out evil crackers harvesting users' IPs on a parcel and then DDOSing them (as I don't use media or voice in SL).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.