After start SL Viewer the Laptop is very HOT

lupopa Grau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

i hope you understand my bad English, I'm using a Translator

When I use the Second Life viewer run, the laptop is very hot.
No matter what graphics settings I use.
The laptop has a heat of 98 ° and crashes due to the heat ...
I start consuming other 3D programs, I have no problems with the heat.
Only in Second Life I have a problem.
What can I do about it?

SL is a very demanding program and will cause a laptop to heat up what you need to do is clean out the fan of your laptop or replace it if necessary if you don't feel confident doing it yourself a computer repairer will do it for you then get yourself a cooling pad they are usually usb powered with a fan that constantly keep your laptop cool i use a cheap cooling pad but i have come across ones designed for gamers

I clean the laptop regularly.

The problem with the heat is only in Second Life.

For 3D gaming, the laptop has no problems.
I play often Amnesia, which has a very high graphics requirement. There, I have a maximum temperature of 75 degrees.

My System:

Acer ASpire 7741g

Intel Core I5-430m processor 2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with 1024 MB RAM

17.3" HD+ LED LCD

640 GB HDD

Blue Ray Disc drive

4 GB Memory

Linux Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04, 64 Bit

Second Life uses a lot more resources than your average 3d Gaming .

You will notice that most single core CPUs will run at almost 100% using SL.

It is very graphic and CPU intensive...

But i have heard some comlain lately that SL has been running their CPU a lot hotter than normal with viewer 3

My System:

Laptop: Acer ASpire 7741g

Processor: Intel Core I5-430m processor 2.26 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache

Graphic: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with 1024 MB RAM

Display: 17.3" HD+ LED LCD

HDD: 640 GB HDD

ROM: Blue Ray Disc drive

RAM: 4 GB Memory

Operating System: Linux Ubuntu Precise Pangolin 12.04, 64 Bit

I am not doubting your system at all. SL is just very intensive for gaming and adequate cooling is recommended. Laptops have the worst ventilation system ever. Out of all the games my wife platys with her laptop. Even Amnesia . SL runs it hot. She uses a cooling pad below it..

Some residents have said it seems the latest viewer is running a lot hotter than normal. I am not sure of that my self. I haven't seen any problems. I run a 6 core 3.3 GHz CPU over clocked to 4GHz and only run 47c with Sl photoshop and other things running

Right now I had to shut viewer 3 down because it was running high CPU. eating up about 60% constant . I have 6 cores.. Thats high usage for sure lol

lupopa Grau wrote:

Okay
:)

Then I'm going to find a cooling pad.

Did you perhaps a hint that cooling pads are really useful?

cooling pads are very useful and stop your laptop from getting as hot as it would do with out one mine has one giant fan i don't know if that makes it better than the multi fanned ones or effects CPU useage but running the latest firestorm viewer my AMD dual core runs between 35-50% (it peaks a 60-65% when rezzing stuff) cpu even with about 40 chrome tabs open daz studio and photoshop open i don't know how hot it gets but the internal fan blows out warm air instead of being as hot as a blast furnace

You can use some free programs to see what is happening inside your laptop. I don't know if these come in Linux flavors. But, something similar will be available for Linux.

GPU-Z tells you what your graphics card is doing, heat, fans, GPU load...

Windows has a free add-on System Explorer that shows wht the CPU's are doing.

SpeedFans tells you all the temperture and fan information for devices in the computer. If you run unplugged your version of Linux may be throttling the fans back to save power. If you purchased the machine with Linux installed, you may want to search for known problems with Acer/Linux. Check that Acer got fan control correct. Test that it works as it should.

You should be able to find Linux tools to force your fans to 100% before starting SL. 

I am mostly saying, check out what your laptop is actually doing. It may not be recognizing SL as a graphics heavy game. If so, it may fail to switch on the Radeon and speed up the fans. It may run other games much cooler because it recognizes them sets up for graphics intense running.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.