What about SL cars?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Bought the Palamo and a Haru Motors VW yesterday. 5500L total.

Both drive amazing on a race track.

BUT the Haru one loses physical state when sim crossing, about 50% of crossings... meaning every other sim crossing you have to unseat and jump back in before it derezzes. Kills the ability to go anywhere fast other than a confined track.

- Can also only use mouselook mode via its HUD. 'm' base mouselook disables steering... And the HUD shuts off every third sim...

Oddly, the Haru VW has a skateboard in the trunk that you can drive, which has none of the problems of the main car. After spending an house going from Bay City Morton to Blumfield due to constant loss of vehicle physical status and HUD breaks... I got on the skateboard and went halfway back to Bay City Morton in 5 minutes...

By contrast I raced the Palamo from the shop across half of the underside of Blake Sea, to an infohub on an island - crossing about 1 sim every 5-10 seconds... and only had a few sim lag moments, but never lost state and never broke scripts.

- Can drive in mouselook with no HUD needed, and the dashboard is placed just above bottom of screen, enough to see the steering wheel turn - so that mouselook looks a lot like RL driving in a low seat (most SL cars in mouselook cover up half the screen with the dash, or cause you to discover the window is barely transparent on the inside, so the world looks super dark...)

Its actually very easy to drive the Palamo in mouselook.

- The Palamo also has a menu option to move the steering wheel... so that after you get your seat just right, but notice your arms are off... you can line up that final bit.

Also bought a Prefabrica rusty muscle car - which like the Palamo can drive in mouselook with a clear view out the window and no HUD needed, so you can race in mouselook, and I drove across Bay City and through ahern in it with no issues. About 790L I think.

Finally bought a 100L mesh old station wagon thingy, with very few controls - that I still need to test out.

Here's a picture of all 4 of them:

https://my.secondlife.com/pussycat.catnap/snapshots/4ff5a79b5e039405ae000001

If the Haru one didn't lose physical and 'stop' on sim crossings, it'd be the best one. But that is a fatal flaw. As is, I'd rate the Palamo best, and it seems to be from a new maker.

Also spent about 2000L on motocycles... I'll cover those later. :)

original_4ff5a79b5e039405ae000001.jpg

There goes the money I was saving up for another water lot... :)

Starry Rae wrote:

The Leste is based on a Renault Alpine A110 and the Palamo is based on the Toyota Sports 800. 

Ahh, thank you. Not a car I'm familiar with, but now I look at some RL pictures it's a nice rendtion. That'll also explain why it has a straight-4 and not a boxer engine in the back :)

That's interesting what you say about the Beetle losing  physical and coming to a stop on sim crossings. I have not tried the Beetle on sim crossing yet but it has happened to me just last week with a different Haru car when going at a fast speed. The best way to get the car moving again is to go into edit and just move the car left, right, up or down, just one of them quickly, then after a couple seconds you should be able to get the car moving again. But its still a pain in the butt to have to do that hehe. I have never used mouselook on a car so can't comment on that and I also never wear a hud.

The Palamo is a good choice of car, I've had some fun in that 1 and got some great lap times in.. Also being only 18 prims is nice, my lowest prim car I own, I was impressed when I noticed that. Yay to mesh :)

Ok the Haru VW is holding up well tonight - in Economy mode. Just raced myself from my land in Bay City to my land in Blumfield - a drive that was a nightmare last night.

"Economy mode" strips out features scripts like the (um...) door animations, water bottle rezzer, trunk / skateboard.

- Leaves you with a vehicle though, that moves fast and is solid to control.

I purposefully chose a high speed, one fast enough that most of my cheaper vehicles eject me on and crash my viewer... and while I banded up into the air with some sim crossings, soon as the server had me I was back on the road right where I wanted to be and zooming on down. Made for a quick drive, in a vehicle I can now recommend. Though I will still let the maker know about the physical thing in 'full feature mode'.

I'm still looking for 2 more good cycles. I'd like something that handles like a racing bike, but looks older and funky, and not like one of those 'speed machine' Japanese bikes. :) But I've had no luck so far... comparing lots of bikes and not yet finding just the right blend of script and design. :)

Motorcycle Collection spread across 5 accounts:

MotorCycles_001.jpg

Left to right.

Red thing is the 'Cyclone' from Beck Jefes - who's store seems to be gone from inworld now. Its really a flyer. You can't turn off flight mode and flight mode triggers the moment you bounce off anything. But for a flyrer its a lot of fun. Belongs to an alt.

Green thing is the Steamer cycle. This one runs on auto - set a speed and you just need to steer. Its a tad slow - cruising item great for crossing mainland. Its no longer sold anywhere that I can find. Belongs to 2 alts, but not Pussycat. Was 20L when it was on market. Note how its prim-based, not even sculpty save for the hood ornament.

Long one in back, the Mesh Copy/Mod Marauder. Drives with a popular script kit (KCP / ACS). Not set up ideally in the sold version, but you can click it and alter the menus and get great results. Belongs to an alt.

Next to it is the Mesh Copy/Mod Cheetah - same store. Same script kit, slightly different default settings. Cheap and as configured it good for racing. Belongs to a different alt from the Marauder.

Yellow thingy is the pricey Unicorn from 'Burnout'. Works amazingly well for racing. Burnout seems to have their own scripts. Copy, but no Mod.

That funny reggae bullet thingy in the back is the prims for a project to try and write my own scripts. A project that is not really active right now. :D Last time I tried to ride it I hit a bump and bounced, only to land 3 sims away... Oops. :)

The three mesh ones I have are all low prim, low land impact. There's a gimmick going on right now in mesh vehicles people NEED to be on the alert for. They will list low prim costs on market place, but when you edit one of them, you'll come back with a MASSIVE land impact. Sometimes in the hundreds...

- What they've done is made some of the prims physical, these they call the prim cost. Lets the vehicle scripts work with them. But then the land impact is what you need to be able to rez it...

- In other words, you won't be able to use those vehicles on your own land unless you own half a sim or more... They will drive, but good luck finding a spot wih 150 free prims to -rez- it...

Yeah, it doesn't matter once you're driving it. But you've got to rez the thing first. :)

So all of my chosen mesh cycles are BOTH low land impact and low prim. I don't have as much detail as a result - still better than sculpty - but not 'real as a photograph - like some of those 100+ land impact ones.

I don't think we are suppose to be advertising RL junk in SL.

I know you don't think you did but you see - that car dealer just LOOKS like a crook. Therefore, he clearly works for JD Byrider, the most crooked car dealership in the USA.

I mean that guy looks so crooked i would not even want to buy a candy bar from him. Not even if it was a chocolate covered Payday bar.

Oh my gyod that guy looks creepy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.