hud building

alecia Snowfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

You might be able to find such a class at Builder's Brewery or Caledon Oxbridge University, but I suspect that it will be disappointing if you do.  A HUD is just like any other scripted object.  The only thing that makes it different is that you wear it on your screen insterad of rezzing it in world for others to see.  Making a HUD, therefore, means writing a script for whatever it is that you want the HUD to do, and that's not something that you learn to do in a single class. 

From the way you phrased your question, I assume that the particular HUD you want to create is an AO.  As scripts go, it's a fairly complicated job.  I've made a couple, just for the heck of it.  Frankly, if you want an end product that is going to be reliable and have even a fraction of the features in a commercial AO, you're better off buying a pre-made one.  If you really want to take one apart and see what makes it tick, you can get full perm copies of several classic AO scripts (Zhao, Zhao II, Franimation ... ) at http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?Category=AO .  If you know enough LSL scripting to feel confident about modifying one of them or using it as a model for one of your own, do it.  

• Like 1

One simple piece of advice about huds, which surprisingly few people know (which is a shame, because it's the only way to make them without disolving into tears of rage and frustration at some point).

Rez a box prim to use as the root of the hud.   Identify face 4 (the one the red direction arrow is going into when the prim is first rezzed).   Colour that red, so you don't forget which face it is, and build the hud with that as the side the user is to see -- that is, put all the main buttons on that face.

This is the only way to make huds that don't vanish off some people's screens or end up in funny places when attached to the wrong point.

Alecia,

Rolig's advise is spot on.

When I 1st learned scripting and had done [to my mind] a few very complicated projects, I decided to tackle learning about AO's. Afar carefully examining of the code behind the ZHAO AO, I gained a new appreciation for the developers of these totally necessary additions to my avatars presentation. After several hours of tinkering I looked at the value of my time versus my intent on that project.

My expertise was in entertainment, DJing and managing estates. I did research and found several HUD-based AO systems that did what I need and spent my Lindens wisely.

But having learned about the HUDs and how they communicate and move our avatar bodies was so worth wild. I was especially impressed with the code snippets that compensated for issues with a particular release or the server code and how it related to our movement. Someone was keeping track of JIRAs and didn't wait for LL to fix issues. And this is only the open source ZHAO LSL scripting. The well aged and upgraded commercial AOs deserve their place on the market. :)

'If you are planning on introducing a new AO with original new features go for it!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.