Making a child skin and TOS

madam Martian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont know if I post this the right place or not, I get so lost here in the forums.. well.. if so.. I apoligise..

I am doing some custom skins for children, rated PG.. I get confused as too, where is the limit with PG do I make it blank without e.g. nipples and other private parts, cause I stated on my website *a child is a child, and will look like it*  But..... a child do have nipples and private parts.. and that is where I am stuck right now..
I wrote a ticket to LL to ask, so I am sure I stay within the rules... They couldnt answer it, and refered me to some links, that I wrote and didnt learn more from, so I wrote to LL again. but got same msg.. they cant answer me..

So now my question is... How do I stay within the TOS when they do not tell (that I can find/understand anywhere) what I should do?
I want the skin to be realistic but at the same time, it will poberbly be up for sale and I dont want it 'used' for other perpouses.

I dont like to make it a blank chest, and its not written anywhere that I can find, if it shall be blank or not.. Can I make e.g. nipples AS a child has it? = not as detailed as on adults... What have other skin creators done?

I am not english so I really have issues reading and understanding the links LL wanted me to read, when I told them, I was told to use google translate, which just confused me even more.. I am good at english, but I think I met my match in these links LOL

Any skin creators out there that can help me out?

Blessings for a wonderful weekend ;)

Lis

This is the links LL provided me with...

http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Maturity-ratings/ta-p/700119

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Child_Avatar

You won't get a straight answer from LL to your question. Anytime they have been asked to clarify the rating policy they have  just refer people to the written policy. 

I would look at existing skins on the market and see how those creators handled this issue, and follow their lead.

Personally, I think you should make the skin realistic.  Nudity in an of itself is not shameful or even sexual. It is up to the wearer to be sure they remain clothed properly when they are in PG areas and that it isn't "'used' for other purposes".  You are no more responsible for that than a creator of an adult skin would be if someone was wearing it and created a TOS violation or crime..

The people that use your skins will be RL adults mostly.  But I suppose there will be a few 16 to 18 year olds that use them too.  I've never seen any policy or complaints against minors (who are legally RL children)  using adult or child skins that are anatomically correct. 

You will not want to show a naked child and will probably need to put minimal clothes on the model in any PG areas that you sell it in. 

Of course I'm not LL so the above is just my personal opinion. Other people may disagree.

• Like 1

You could always just apply underwear on the skin layer. That way if anyone is in doubt the avatar will be covered and child nudity would not be an issue.

Or you could look for people who make child skins and avatars already and perhaps IM one or two and see how they go about that particular issue.

I did look around on child skins, and those I found was with details, I was just wondering if it was anywhere in the TOS and it was just me that could not find it..

Its a Sustom skin of which I am making by request to someone, so I am going to let it be up to him what to do... We did agree no adult parts, but also that it had to look like realistic and that is my confusion, cause if I have to make it as realistic as possible, I will have to make nipples ect.. I dont mind doing, it cause I know it wont be 'used' by the one I make it for, but  there is no way of knowing what hands it will end in if it will be put up for sale.. but if so then its deffently out of my hands...

But I am speachless over LL to be honest... I asked and got the answer that they could not answer it, so I asked who else to ask then, where I got same answer... nobody could not answer it... I think it is very wrong, especially when it comes to something like kids and private parts. Its in the TOS about behaviour, but nothing about aperence as I can find..

Thank you both so much for your replys, Its nice to see I am not just lost on my own (and just me that could not find it)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend ;)

What strikes me is how ludicrous it is that anyone has to be concerned (I am not belittling anyone for being concerned; the concern strikes me as prudent.) about getting into trouble for making a child avatar that is as faithful a representation as possible of a child.  It is just crazy that there should even be a question about it

The reason I checked it before making the skins is because I was Designer in another 3D chat a while back, and in there it was a very big nono to do so... It was actually one of the most 'known' rules there..

I made teen skins as freebies, as I thought I would do the teens a favor, however 9 out of 10 of those skins were brought by adults and used for perpouses that makes my stummick turn..

So when I could not find anything about it in the TOS I had to ask, cause I swore I would never end in that situation again.. So thats my background story *smiles

• 1 month later...

Just my opinion or interpretation of TOS but, child avatars have to be G rated and G rated would mean nothing sexual. 

Also, you can err on the safe side. If you don't feel comfortable even making realistic children's chest skins then don't. It would be perfectly fine in my opinion to paint an undershirt (tank top style) and underpants on every skin. 

ETA: The G rated skins given out by Linden Lab (starter avatars) have underwear painted on them, right? I'd say there is your parameter.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.