What is LL's legal action against marketing copybot promoting item on the marketplace?

HisaDrug

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was hovering around inworld, n I saw this land has a big vendor promoting 'Creation Duplicator' for 199 Lindens. I searched the very item on the marketplace n it's being sold without any complaint from the other creators (or it's possible LL hasn't gotten to their reports yet). I'm upset becos I can't trust LL marketplace or find it convenient in a long run as a creator witnessing people are able to copy other creators' hardwork n take credit of it against the law. 

Does LL really look at the serious reports? 

They must get tons of reports on daily basis but whats more serious than license fraud??? 

3 answers to this question

Hisa,

Technically, this is not an illegal product.

"Will copy anything that you have full permissions on!"

__WARNING__ • By purchasing this product you are solely responsible for the things you are trying to copy. • This item is not intended as a tool to copy objects that you do not have permission to. • Please adhere to all Copyrights when using this product.

It appears to be a way for a lazy Region Owner to duplicate the builds on a Region for placement on another Region.

It is a weak product as it breaks on prims with slice settings and a few other "advanced" prim options as well as not working on mesh objects or unusual mega-prims.

This said, if the product said it needs a "Special" viewer to use it, then it is clearly a "copybot" designed for copying objects in rendered state in your viewers memory. There is no in-world way to copy the textures in a protected prim unless supported by a viewer that does not enforce the permissions systems.

• Like 1

This sort of content duplication tool is perfectly legitimate.   It uses standard LSL functions and can't, because of the restrictions in LSL, copy sculptmaps or textures unless the item is full perms.    And it can't, of course, copy animations or scripts.    All it can do is copy details of the prim's parameters that you can get yourself from the edit box of the object.

If someone wants to steal other people's content, this isn't right tool for the job, quite simply.    Far quicker and easier to use an illegal client that can copy objects, including their textures and sculptmaps, regardless of permissions or whether you own the item or not (and which depend on a completely different technology).

They are particularly useful for people who buy complex full-perms sculptmaps since they can readily make a copy, with them as creator, of the reference object that's supplied with these things, and then apply the sculptmaps to it.    And my business partner and I use something similar (which I've written but don't sell) to ensure that all the prims used in our objects are created by the same avatar and not by her, me and our building alts.   It's also the identical technology (with a couple of steps removed) that's used for the very useful "prim mirror" tools that are on sale -- the tools that let you make a shoe for the right foot, for example, and then automatically produce a matching copy for the left foot.     

I understand your concern but it really is misplaced in this instance, to my mind.    The people who steal content don't use these things to do it; they download illegal clients from elsewhere and log in with those.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.