"Griefer Killer Gun" Killed my LapTop

Partial

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was recently in the Zindra Adult sandbox and was attacked with a "Griefer Killer Gun". After I was attacked my SL screen flashed white, then my entire LapTop screen went black. I have tried rebooting several times and the screen just flashes black and gray then freezes. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I believe the griefers name was (Edited for content) but I cannot recall exactly.

Update, no it was not an overheating issue. The weapon produces an orb that uses scripts and textures meant to overload graphics card. I had some serious debates over software effecting hardware but truth is its is possible, I am living proof. Thank you everyone who has replied with constructive comments. Please be very carefull about building in public sand boxes.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Do a real power down of your Laptop.

The usual procedure is:

1) Remove the battery.

2) Select the Shutdown option from the Windows Menu

3) Unplug for 2 minutes.

4) Plug back in and start it up again.

This kills the hibernation and memory reload a lot of laptops do these days and makes sure all graphics shared memory is cleared as well.

5) Next - be sure to clear all your caches for the viewer you are using. You may have rendered a bad graphic object and it's presence in the cache is causing an error.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it is possible to burn out a graphics card (or chip --- I suspect that your laptop actually has an integrated graphics chip) by overloading it.  It's probably a good idea to find a hardware service shop and have them check it over for you.  If you saved any helpful information -- pics, chat logs, your Bumps & Hits record -- it would be smart to submit an Abuse Report.  You'll have to log on with another machine to do it, though ........

• Like 1

In addition of Karen's and Rolig's answers (both are possible solutions) I want to say that if you are running SL on a minimally spec'd machine (especially a laptop) there is always the danger of damaging your computer due to heating issues.....graphics adapters/cards specifically.  The graphics rendering in SL is demanding and works the hardware very hard.  The hardware involved will do everything it possible can to produce what data calls for and will heat up due to the work load.......if that demand is beyond the hardware's ability it can (and sometimes does) overheat.  In extreme cases that hardware will destroy itself......and until that hardware is replaced your computer will not operate.  You should always pay attention to what's happening with your computer.  Get some hardware monitoring software and keep tabs on the heat generated when you are running demanding programs and take actiion when your heat build up gets close the upper threshold.....about 105 C for most graphics cards (my personal upper limit is about 90 C).  For a laptop a cooling pad is an absolute must......and a clean computer case never hurts a thing.  Not paying attention and skimping on a $30 cool pad is foolish in my opinion.

It's not hard to believe at all. Laptops are cramped for space which means heat is harder to evacuate from the case. Most laptops are not designed for heavy graphics use. Even desktops will overheat with SL............I know I've burned up an nVidia 8600 GT installed in a full tower (and I keep a clean case).

I had the same thing happen to me several times.  I was hit by something, while in a safe zone minding my own business.  Everything froze up and the comp screen flashed white, then shut down.  The viewer crashed.  The second time, my entire computer crashed and has not worked right since.   What kind of a weapon is this?  I submit an AR and got no where.  The griefers were banned but keep sending their alts back apparently.    Any suggestions?  

As we described in the replies to this very old thread, this sort of weapon can cause permanent damage to your graphics card. It essentially overloads it to cause burnout. Fortunately, it is very rare in SL. You are doing the right thing by submitting an Abuse Report. As you note, though, a truly determined griefer may continue to come back under a new account each time he is banned. Your only sure defense is to avoid being in places where you are likely to run into him again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.