Emails and IMs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A good friend of mine went offline for a while recently but she occasionally logs in and usually leaves me a message on the IM which I also receive as an email. This time the IM said she'd sent me a long email but it hasn't appeared in my computer emails or the SL IM. Is there any I way I could access it from within SL or is it just a compatibility issue?

Any Help would be much appreciated.

Neil

IM to email works for me in general. Single losses or capped IM's happen and there is a lenght limit. In other words: works but unreliable.

Objects can send emails and receive emails (if the uuid is known) - short ones, there in a length limit.

There is an invention - it's called email ! Get one from a freemail service and use that for SL contacts.

In addition to Dark-Lettering-Lady's response, Offline IMs that are replied to via Email (as in, if you receive an Offline IM in your Email Inbox and hit 'Reply') have an expiry date. The reply-to key (the complicated address necessary to reply-to an offline IM this way) only remains valid for somewhere between 3-5 days, after which replying to the offline IM via email at all will silently fail.

Basically, you have a limited time to send an email-reply to each offline IM.

It's very likely that this occured, and as recommended your best bet is simply sharing an email address with your friend, and not involving the offline IM process at all.

"dark lettering" - guess i need to change that. :)

One more thing, you can send someone a notecard. The message can be long then and chances are very good that it doesn't get lost. You get - most probably - an IM->email that tells you who offered you inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4419 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.