Anyone know why DJ streams skip for me?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Weird issue and it's been pretty constant.....

The streams of live DJs in clubs and such skip for me and are also very delayed, meaning by the time one song gets to the end for me, the next one has already been playing a good minute. I turn sound off/on, it seems to catch up for a minute, but goes right back to skipping and delaying. Same issues, different clubs, too.

But radio streams work fine.

Thoughts?

I'm not a techie but I can tell you as with many goofy stuff in SL it's more than just one factor to blame. Let's say it's a conspiracy from LL and your ISP. :matte-motes-agape:

The DJ's stream stream lags more the more people are listening. So the fuller the club the more blackouts and skips you'll suffer. Also it could be your own connection. Are you on wireless? Shame on you. :matte-motes-angry:

DJs should give out the URL to their streams so you can listen off-world from your iTunes or other media players. That's always less laggy.

could be the DJs upstream is playing up. and then depends on how their broadcaster service handles it

same thing happens on voice sometimes. like when is a storm or something. the upstream packets can get mixed up a bit sometimes. usual they just relayed by the broadcaster in however order they received

bit like chat as well. when is laggy then quite often multiple textchats in the viewer comes out backwards

If others listening to the same stream are hearing the same thing, than it is the stream itself.  You should mention it to the DJ in IM  because they can't tell all the time they are having issues like that unless they have away to hear what the audience hears.  Its a bit dicey to do this.  Most SL DJ's stream and have SL running on the same computer.  There is a 15 to 30 second delay between when they say or stream something and when the audience hears it.  So, they really can only listen in once in a while without confusion or missing a queue.  You really need a mixer and two computers to do this easily. One computer to stream another for SL with a two channel mixer to switch back and forth between what you are streaming and what the audience is hearing.

Orca's point about the number of people in the club is valid too. If they only have a stream for 50 listeners and there is close to that number in the club than it can act up like this.  My husband is a professional RL DJ and he advises having a stream that will accommodate at least twice the number of expected listeners to avoid this.

If you are the only one hearing it though and the DJ's stream is not near its limit, it is your own connection. Either the viewer's connection to the stream or your internet connection.  If it is the viewer, relogging generally helps.  If its your internet connection try resetting your modem to see if that helps.

@Orca - most SL DJ's don't have streams with enough listener space to be able to let people listen in outside of the club.  Unless they have one that holds three times the expected listeners where they DJ, its foolish of them to allow others to listen in outside of their location and expect to maintain quality.  That is why most of them won't give out their URL so you can listen outside of SL or at your SL home.

@Orca - most SL DJ's don't have streams with enough listener space to be able to let people listen in outside of the club.  Unless they have one that holds three times the expected listeners where they DJ, its foolish of them to allow others to listen in outside of their location and expect to maintain quality.  That is why most of them won't give out their URL so you can listen outside of SL or at your SL home.

Uh ok, got it.

I know some friends of mine are doing it for our cruising club. They set up and stream already while we're still sailing. That way we are in the right mood once we reach the destination. But, yes, it's a group thing and nobobody outside that group knows about the url. So the number of listeners stays the same.

Nope, no one else has the issue most of the time and the clubs aren't really full. Happens even with 10 or so people in. 

I've DJ'd too on SAM and I know about the lil bit of a delay on the DJ part, but this seems really excessive - it's a full minute some times, eh.

Nope, not on wireless either.

All the SL viewer does is pass the parcel's audio URL to the QuickTime plugin. Once that's done the viewer isn't involved. Since the stream URL isn't changing during a set the viewer can't have anything to do with the delays. Check to make sure you have the latest QuickTime installed.

Note: Another possibility for a low-level computer is the viewer is using so much of the computer's resources that QuickTime isn't getting enough processing time for itself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.