Well looks like my new stay is short

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I started playing today but earlier like around 10 I tried to play it again with my friend, but when I opened it, it came up with an error and said,

"Error

Can't create GL rendering context."

I know its something to do with the graphics card from when I see after I click okay, but it tells me my graphics card is oddly up to date when the game says to update it. Does anyone know what else it could be? Because I hate to already leave Second Life and not play! I know another solution is to probably get a new one but I do not have the money for it and all.. is there a way to keep on playing?

Here are my system specs, which I forgot to put:

Operating system: Windows Vista Home Premium

Language: English

System Maufacturer: Hewlett-Packard

System Model: HP Pavillion dv6700 Notebook PC

BIOS: Ver1.00PARTTBL

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.7GHz

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Page file: 2886MB used, 1430MB avaliable

DirectX version: DirectX 11

Devices:

Graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family

Maufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip Type: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Epxress Chipset Family

DAC Type: Internal

Approx. Total Memory: 358 MB

Current Display Mode: 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor: Generic PnP Mintor

Driver:

Main driver: igdumdx32.dll,igd 20umd32.dll

Version:  7.15.00 10.1666

I just decided to post all the specs I had that seemed important, so yea.. if you need anything else let me know guys!

It sounds like a driver problem.  Even if you have the latest driver, you actually may need to use an earlier one but it is hard to say without more information.  Edit your post and post the system specs  you can get from the Help >About>Info when you open your viewer.   You don't need to log in to get these.  Once you do this, someone that is familier with your graphics card and system will probably be able to tell you more.

Oh okay, I see your point and i'll put my system specs in my first post for you to see. And sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, when I click the game it doesn't even open to the log in screen, just a small error screen, so if theres another way to do that can you let me know?

BloodyKitty230 wrote:

Oh woops. Thanks for telling me and I hope you go and get good rest.

Whats Dres mean?

He didn't realise that you have an integrated system and that your graphics work off your Intel 965 chipset. You should be able to run Second LIfe with that system but it's only barely acceptable, the absolute minimum being a 945 chipset according to System Requirements.

I would suggest you check if there is an updated driver for your Intel chipset by visiting the website for your notebook manufactuer and check there.

After that, try SL again but to be honest, with your system, I think you would have better luck running a v1 type viewer rather than the latest v3. Phoenix viewer at http://www.phoenixviewer.com/ may suit you better.

Oh I see, that's okay than, haha. Ah I see.. that kinda sucks about the BARELY acceptable part.. Oh I see.. hmm. I will do what you suggested and download the phoenix thing after checking the site I have to check. Thanks for suggesting it.

Well I checked the site and used this before downloading anything. The link below is what I used to check if I have the latest driver, I'm not sure if its always correct but it says my thing is up to date. So i'll install Phoenix and see what happens.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Oh I see, that's okay than, haha. Ah I see.. that kinda sucks about the BARELY acceptable part.. Oh I see.. hmm. I will do what you suggested and download the phoenix thing after checking the site I have to check. Thanks for suggesting it.

Well I checked the site and used this before downloading anything. The link below is what I used to check if I have the latest driver, I'm not sure if its always correct but it says my thing is up to date. So i'll install Phoenix and see what happens.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Well I downloaded it and it still says the same message sadly, but now I checked for updates and am installing what it told me to. Wish me luck!

Hi Bloodkitty.

Firstly i suggest you to go to a site called "can i run it " go to google type that in it comes up straightaway. Simply type secondlife in and it will test your specs and let you know if it passes or fails, if it fails it will tell you why.

Secondly if lets say it passes then as already mentioned could be a possible driver problem. I spent a lot of money on those driver updates programs and was a total waste of money , so i would suggest not even wasting your time with that . I had a driver problem where i kept getting video card error messages when running SL. I did all the driver checks , and each time came up as up to date , i knew it wasnt as it was dated 2005. In the end i went to a profesional tecnical person who told me to unistall my video card totally , as on boot up windows will automatically search for a new driver. I did that and on boot up it started the driver wizard and downloaded me a nice videocard 2010 driver . Problem solved for me !

I hope you get it sorted

Demi

The "GL Context" problem will go away if you manually clear your cache.  Your drivers and card are fine, since you were able to play before with them!  I think it happens at random, so you might never see it again for years.

How to manually clear that cache, then:

You need to go to:

(for Vista) - C: - Users - (YOUR USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife

Delete the contents of the folder and restart your computer.  

NOTE: You may need to go to Windows Tools > Folder Options > View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders, in order to see AppData folder.

(clipped from an earlier answer from someone with same problem as you)

If those instructions don't make sense, please let people know, it's not actually hard.

Good luck!

Thanks you two! And I did what the other person said before about going to the HP site and checking for any new updates to my driver or ones I'd need to install by recommendation, so I did all of that and SL finally worked when I restarted it up! I was so happy. And if it happens again Vegro, I will look at your recommendation to.

But thanks to you all! If you'd like to add me in game heres my username

BloodyKitty230

BloodyKitty230 wrote:

Thanks you two! And I did what the other person said before about going to the HP site and checking for any new updates to my driver or ones I'd need to install by recommendation, so I did all of that and SL finally worked when I restarted it up! I was so happy. And if it happens again Vegro, I will look at your recommendation to.

But thanks to you all! If you'd like to add me in game heres my username

That's great! Welcome back to SL. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.