Keep getting logged out?

Deanna Akiri

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Alright I’ve been having this issues on and off for the past few weeks. But this past week or so it’s come up even more.

When I would log into SL it would be all fine and dandy. Then a few mins later My avatar cannot move, I can’t see what others or myself are typing in local then a few moments later my SL screen will go grey and I’d get a message saying I’ve been logged out etc.

I’ve done everything that I and others can think of. I’ve cleared my catches many times, reloaded my viewer ( I use Phoenix) tried other viewers and I get the same problems.

With my laptop I’ve done disk defrags and disk clean ups. I just got this laptop in Nov. 2011 Its a dell Inspiron and it meets the requirements of SL. Like I said it was working just fine till a few weeks ago. And I have great internet service.

I’m at my wits end lol this past weekend it was working great! But come Tuesday it was back to doing it all over again.

Could this because of all the issues I’ve been seeing on the grid? All the reports of rolling restarts, un-expected maintenance checks etc?

Help?

9 answers to this question

It's hard to say without knowing much more about your computer or connection.  if you are getting an error message then you truly are crashing, not disconnecting.  The good news is, then,  that you're probably not overheating -- one of the first things we worry about when SL dies on you after a few minutes.  My best guess, though, is that you are expecting too much out of your computer.  The Dell Inspiron is a pretty lightweight laptop,  intended primarily for office and casual home use, not for the heavy demands of a gaming environment.  You may have your Graphics Quality slider set higher than the computer can handle.  Try setting it to Low and lowering your draw distance to 64m to start.  If that helps, you can increase draw distance cautiously until you get in trouble again.

Oh, and avoid using a wireless connection.  That can easily cause problems if your system is marginal anyway.

Whether that works or not, come back and let us know.  Click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question here and select EDIT. Please do NOT start a new thread.

Most likely this is a connection problem. So, check that first. Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. No matter how good you think your connection is, you could be having a problem connecting to the SL servers. The link leads to instructions on testing that specific connection.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

Avoid clearing your cache unless you are certain you have cache corruption.

Hi

I just wondered if there was any further help from anyone about this issue?

The same thing started happening to me a few weeks ago. I can't stay logged in for more than a few minutes, regardless of which sim I'm

in, and I usually can't move or tp anywhere. I can log in again almost immediately but after a while open chat and IMs stop being visible to

me and shortly thereafter I get the 'you have been logged out of SL' greyed out screen.

I haven't changed anything about my pc recently and my broadband and modem are fine.

My pc is also hardwired, not running wirelessly, as this has been a problem in the past.

I'd appreciate ANY help with this...I'm at my wit's end too and I can see my leaving SL completely because

of this issue. It's just totally impossible for me to stay inworld.

Many thanks in anticipation of some kind and knowledgeable soul being able to shed some light on this lol

(ps. I've also tried everything as mentioned in the initial post )

You're going to be more likely to find an answer to your particular problem if you start your own thread, rather than burying it as a hidden comment in someone else's older question. Almost nobody is likely to see it here (other than me :P ) My guess is that your own problem is slightly different from the OP's, since she had an underpowered laptop and you have a PC of some kind. With the minimal information you provided, I still suspect that you have a connection problem, despite the fact that you think your broadband and modem are "fine". When you post your own question, please be sure to include all the information you can about your computer. In your viewer, open Help >> About Second Life and copy/paste all of the information from that window into your post.

For those who are not afraid to take notes and would like to finish troubleshooting this issue before they have to leave sl behind and spend hundreds of dollars:

Try these steps and then perform maintenance on your computer with free programs like advanced system care and ccleaner but make sure that you set them to never start at system startup or run in the background because they use alot of resources. An easy way to fix this problem is to close them whenever windows is restarted and open them when you perform maintenance closing them when you are finished.

First, go into your sl graphics setting and turn everything except draw distance all the way down. Then set draw distance to 200 m or less. Next set tree detail to mid and turn on transparent water but leave everything else in this category unchecked. Uncheck basic shaders. You may be able to get away with choosing to compress graphics but I make no guarantees. This particular change may or may not do anything to help your computer process graphics. I would leave it for last. Do not change any hardware or bandwidth setting of any kind preferring to use recommended settings only if you are a novice. Now save your settings as something you will remember. If you notice that these changes don't help, you will have to tinker with them until you get them right. However, this is as close as you'll get if your computer is older than two years unless you decide to upgrade memory or graphics.

You can buy sd cards or usb/sd combo sticks to plug in and setup to be used as additional memory. I recommend more than 8gb for this upgrade. I don't know much about sd cards but I know you can use usb to improve performance. Look this info up on google or learn how to use google to answer your questions, and fast. It's 2017. Also, you will notice that some worlds do not load very fast. Generally, the worlds whose creators are high end will load no matter how big they are. You should have luck with some of the more popular adventure & fantasy or nature & parks worlds with these settings. I can't speak for other categories at this time but they are all worth testing. I just added each additional world that actually finished loading to my places list. Once you get to a world that loads, wait for it to finish as much as it can, then go into settings and turn up draw distance slightly without saving settings. If this doesn't work, simply negate this last step.

You may have to put up with sl freezing a few times before this works and you're able to save settings so be sure to move quickly. I found that I was done doing all of this before the hour was up and I haven't been experiencing any issues other than the occasional crash here and there but restarting the program is a great way to avoid this from being a hassle if you have work that you need to save. One final tip is to use a program such as advanced system care to optimize you're system memory after an hour or less to avoid constant crashing. I do it about 3 to 4 times per day while using second life. Restarting your computer will also help if you have time. If you notice flickering just minimize sl and maximize it a few times. This will stop after you restart windows. I do not recommend trying that fishing contest or coin chasing game with these settings.

Thanks. This is all good advice (except for the bit about "worlds" -- there's only one world here, so I think you mean "region"). Unfortunately, this thread is VERY old (five years now), so nobody is going to see it. Threads in Answers get buried after a few days.  The only reason that I saw it is that I replied to the OP back in 2012.

That's cool. Still, the advice we generally give is to disregard any posts in Answers that are more than a year old. They may have been good answers at the time, but SL changes. Old bugs are fixed, new features are added, and those of us who respond in Answers get more experienced and have better explanations that we did before. We've often wished that there was a way to scrub old threads from the archives, but there isn't. Once something is on the Internet, it's there forever. ;)

I'm glad to see you posting. We can always use a new face here. Even when two or three people end up saying pretty much the same thing, we each say it in different words. You never can tell which explanation will be just right for the next reader. Welcome aboard.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.