Wondering if it's worth developing an easy-setup bot system as an opensource project.

Mudslinger Ning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pretty much with most of my inspiration coming from the way "Turnkey Linux" provides virtual appliances - I am thinking this might be a pretty cool idea....

Creating a dedicated operating system "appliance" harnessing all the functionality that can be done with bots or "Scripted Agents" as LL calls them...

For all the details I've written up my ideas here:

http://colinnashonline.com/2012/06/14/tempted-to-take-the-vera-project-a-step-further/

Anyone interested in seeing this happen?

I'm not intending to sell as a product. My plans are to build a good bot system and run a centralised support website to bring various users together to aid long term development.

Like many other open source projects - I want it to be free to download and use software-wise. If I was to make any money from it I'd probably just put website ads on the support website and donation options to cover some of the development costs.

For the moment I'm not putting much of an appeal out for consumers - but rather for anyone who would be interested to help develop it. Though interest from either side of the fence would help my motivation. If there is enough interest in it I'll at least start on attempting it myself and learn a few things the hard way. If any other developers want to join in as it evolves then more help the merrier.

Basically you are talking about making yet another text client while there are several already on the market, though I'm not aware of Lunix-based ones. From scratch or not, it would require hundreds man-hours of development so unless there is a definite possibility of revenues measurable in thousands USD (not linden dollars) I would not be interested in participating in such project and wouldn't advise others.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.