Hello, I want to know how to design a gown and some prim clothes.

David6886

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know how to design clothes but it's basic.

now I want to know the advance skills such as designing gowns, prim clothes or a necklace or something like that.

Can you help me please?

uhmmm, I'm interested in photograpy too. Do you know any videos to teach them?

thank you so much.

Have a great day.

3 answers to this question

You've probably already discovered the tutorials and other resources at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials.  If not, take a look.  My favorite ones are Natalia Zelmanov's many clothing tutorials -- a bit dated now, but still great. Thing is, though, most of what you will learn from tutorials is basics.  The advanced stuff is not taught much, but it's experienced and discovered, one technique at a time.  Many techniques are shared in the forums, so you should start lurking and participating in the Building and Texturing forum, in particular.  In fact, some of the best tips are in the archives of the old Texturing Tips forum at http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/109/1.html .  Beyond that, go to your favorite bookstore and buy yourself a good Photoshop manual and a stack of books on clothing design and just practice like crazy.  That's really how many of us learned.

• Like 1

If you know the basics of clothing design then you're half way there.  All it takes is practice to refine that basic stuff into advanced stuff.  That takes time and persistance.  Prim clothing is building and that would be the next step.  You need to learn building (basics first the practice to refine to advanced).  The Ivory Towers of Prims (search in-world) is a good place to start.

Once you get building to the point of making the prims into the shapes and objects that your clothing requires all you need to do is apply the textures to those prims.  Which is really no different than your basic clothing design skills.  It can get complicated as you learn and advance since you have more choices for your prims than just the basic building blocks provided in the viewer......sculpties and mesh (both require third party fairly high end editing software programs...Blender being a popular free program that is fully capable of doing both sculitpies and mesh).  Your best friend is going to be Google for tutorials.  Search "clothing making for SL" is a good initial search.

Photography in SL is really not that much different that photography in real life.  You have the tools to take a snapshot in the viewer(s).  Save to your hard drive, edit them with a good image editing program (the program you use for your basic clothing should be good).  And when you are done and want to upload the images back to SL you do that the same way you upload your clothing designs.  It's best to use a lossless image format........not JPEG (ever).

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.