Answers to ongoing Issues Please?!?!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok LL... There have been several Post here in the past few days over issues that are plaguing a lot of us.

We have had excuses handed to us that range from faulty alternative viewers to our own ISP connections to out dated equipment.

One unmistakable fact I am seeing is it all seems to have happened in the past 4 to 7 days.

The issues seem worse in some regions than others. There is something wrong and I for one am tired of the guessing game. All of us that are serious players here spend a lot of money each month.

We need to see faster fixes to issues. Responses that contribute more than the expected typical responses we all seem to be getting lately.

Its odd to me that one person has issues even in an alt avi yet another seems to be ok on an alt avi.

I have my serious doubts that everyone has outdated equipment, faulty viewers or bad connections. Especially when just 3 or 4 days ago things were working good.

LL bans gambling in Second Life but Lately is is a crap shoot if you can log on at all or you can even function once you do.

What is draining the System so badly that this log jam of information can not function like it should. Find and remove it. Please!!

Is this LLs way of saying that these problems are all viewer problems?  Actually they are LL problems and about to become larger.  If LL wants seasoned players to continue to visit and work in SL, pay tier and preminum memberships, they need to offer those players the services they are paying for and not a barrage of crashes of all kinds, failed login, missing inventory and lost items, and lag that makes it impossible often to move, especially when using the sl viewer which has the largest memory usage of any viewer I have ever seen.  If on the other hand LL wants these players to leave say so and they will sell or abandon their land and businesses and either change their accounts to basic accounts or leave entirely.  I hate to say it but after six years of SL it has come to this point and Linden Labs has no one to blame for it but themseves.

Many of my friends, all using different Viewers (such as old LL V1, Phoenix, and current LL V3) have been experiencing overheating problems in the last three weeks.  They're coming from different places in the USA and also from abroad (Oz).  Nothing seems to be common, except the sim, and the overheating. The region is running 12.06.04.258754.  (The problem is not the V3 bug of CPU 100%, because these people are all on different Viewers some of which I know do not have that bug.)

Is anyone else experiencing recent mysterious overheating?

Could it be some bug in the server (perhaps overtaxing the Viewer in some new way)?

Something appears to be going on.  The overheating is to the point of shutting down their computers.

If you have noted a particular bug or issue please go to the SecondLife JIRA, search to see if one is already there and if not then create one with as many details as possible.  This is the best way of getting LL to look at an issue or bug (and they do look at it).  If you have a particular issue relating just to you requiring support then you can open a support ticket though the level of support is limited if you are a free account holder.

If there is an issue affecting several regions and not others then it would be worth noting what regions it occurs in (and which it doesn't) when reporting an issue, as it may be related to some script/texture/object common to all regions.

And no I am not suffereing any overheating problems, though there are definitely issues with running the 3.3.3 Beta Viewer for some users (it can crash at startup).

What issues specifically are you referring to?

Off the top of my head, the predominant issues on Answers at the moment are:
  1. Pink bug affecting the torso and legs. I suffered from that exact same bug a couple of months ago long before everyone was screaming about it but Linden Lab fixed it then. The latest bout of this bug must be hitting another batch of graphics cards or drivers as I am unaffected by it now. The JIRA says Fix Pending and it is apparently fixed in 3.3.3 beta so looks like it should be fixed in the next general release.
  2. Unable to rez objects on own land. Fix rolled out on Magnum now and will be rolled out on all channels next week.
  3. Grey/black screen on login. This is a graphics driver problem fixed with a driver update.

I spend most of my time on Answers, not the Forum so perhaps you could list issues posted here that have plagued lots of residents over the past 4 to 7 days that Linden Lab has not addressed or is addressing.

It's quite possible for one avatar to be affected while an alt is not. A problem with group tag is one but there are others. There was another odd issue yesterday over the friends list where her main av was affected but her alt was not. Thankfully, we solved that.

Everyone is not having problems. I'm not, Second Life is running like a dream at the moment for me and none of my friends are complaining either.

Edit: Apologies for the italics and grey text. No matter what I do, it won't change for me on this thread.

Feldspar Millgrove wrote:

Many of my friends, all using different Viewers (such as old LL V1, Phoenix, and current LL V3) have been experiencing overheating problems in the last three weeks.  They're coming from different places in the USA and also from abroad (Oz).  Nothing seems to be common, except the sim, and the overheating. The region is running 12.06.04.258754.  (The problem is not the V3 bug of CPU 100%, because these people are all on different Viewers some of which I know do not have that bug.)

Is anyone else experiencing recent mysterious overheating?

Could it be some bug in the server (perhaps overtaxing the Viewer in some new way)?

Something appears to be going on.  The overheating is to the point of shutting down their computers.

I can’t recall anyone posting issues recently relating to Second Life overheating computers although I may have missed them. I could easily have claimed Second Life was overheating my computer last week as I suffered three CPU thermal cut outs while playing Second Life, never during normal use. However, instead of blaming Linden Lab, I took a hard look at my computer. After hours of checking and even replacing the thermal compound on my CPU, I eventually discovered the culprit. It was the hidden side of the radiator in my CPU water cooler system which was coated in a thick layer of dust and fluff. I only discovered this by disassembling the water cooler system. Once the system was cleaned and re-assembled, the overheating issue ceased with my computer running over 10° C below what it had been doing. It had absolutely nothing to do with Second Life apart from the fact that Second Life places a computer system under more stress than normal day to day use and indeed many modern games. I suggest those with overheating issues should first check their computers to ensure that components including cooling systems such as fans, CPU heat sinks, radiators, CPU thermal compound etc are all working to specification and free of dust.  A utility like Open Hardware Monitor enables one to easily monitor CPU and GPU temperatures and loads.

Edit: Apologies for the italics and grey text. No matter what I do, it won't change for me on this thread.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.