Groups without destinations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A lot of people have groups for the purpose of sharing private land.  The land is not in search, so doesn't appear as a destination and the name of the group may have nothing to do with the name of the land.

There are groups that are purely social.  For example: some people have friends and/or family groups that are private and used for communication only.

There are groups for people with a common interest  that are used to to discuss the interest, as a place people with less experience can ask questions addressed to those that have or may even be experts, and as a place announcements can be made to the group of things such as events or sales of thing connected to the interest they share.

Some groups are advertising groups formed by groups of merchants to cross sell to each other's customers and used to announce new products or sales etc. Some are real estate groups for members that are interested in buying and selling regions. Some groups are formed to do charity work, others for educational purposes, some are business associations of one sort or another where businesses can trade information on best practices. In short groups can be used for any purpose where a number of people want to be able to communicate together and/or send communications out to a number of people at one time. 

Finally some groups are formed for the sole purpose of being able to make tags for its members to wear for fun.

Good reply and explanation!

I would add that groups are also formed in RP sims so all members from different time zones are kept up to date on the happens of RP while they were away, able to ask OOC questions, report bad behavior to moderators/gms. Oftentimes, RP Groups will have multiple groups for different factions/functions in the group.  Also, if you have an extensive group charter, there may not be enough room to add a SURL/LM.

Personally, I have several groups from those for my various business endeavors, RP groups that I use when I run an RP on my land, land access groups, and private personal groups.  I think the sky's the limit where groups are concerned, but having a group is not  synonymous with a specific piece of land.

This reminded me of that i wish the group owners, speacially if the group is for customers, would put a landmark in the group info, also other type of groups if the group is for a place for anyone to go into. Also would be nice if at the group profile the topmost of the things were notices, not the members. Sometimes when opening the group profile and if don't move to notices fast, if there are lots of members the whole sl viewer lags because of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.